The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I have a 06 f350. truck as 220,000 miles and like the subject says when i start the truck up after is sitting during the day or evening or for a length of time for that matter and start to drive it. The truck will only let the rpms up to about 22-2300 rpm with the peddle to the floor and the engine will miss and smoke and just run like crap. And the tranny doesnt seem to want to shift normal during this time either. If i baby it, keep the rpms below 2300 rpm the truck runs like a top. After i drive a couple miles it snaps out of it. Runs, drives and shifts like normal. And it does not seem to matter if it is -30 degrees or 90 degrees it acts the same. So if i could please be pointed in the right direction on what the check or replace it would be great. My local shop suggested that the speed sensor in the differential could be the cause as his computer said it had a code. but i replaced that and no success with this issue. This has been happening for about a year and I'd like to sell the truck with no problems

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its acturally not even a cold engine. I've left it idle for 10+ minutes before dirving and it still does the same thing. I cant be the only one who has and or had this trouble.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hang in there and someone will be along to help soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem on an 07. Mine is because of weak injectors and or glow plug too. If it gets below 40 I need to plug the truck in and it will act fine. Other wise I'll turn the ignition on and off twice plus let it warm up a bit. I have started to use Rev X in the oil and Schaffer in the fuel. That has helped me considerably.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could have weak injectors, but the truck starts good down to about 0. I'm taking the truck in tomorrow to have it diagnosed. He didn't think it is injectors from what I described but I guess I will find out.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I just fixed my bro in law's truck. I drove it one day, and asked him if he noticed a miss in the motor. He said no, so we put my code reader on it and found a code for an injector. I told him about sending my ficm to ficmrepair.com, that cleared a "cold" engine miss. So we replaced his ficm with an aftermarket one. Brother inlaw was very surprised to see his truck has never ran better, as he bought it new and just figured that's how it was.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would say that it is your FICM going bad. When they are cold the solder in them shrinks a little and they don't make good electrical contact. As soon as a little heat from the engine warms up the ficm box the solder swells up and makes better contact and they run fine. One way to check this is when the engine is cold put a heat lamp or use a hair dryer and warm up the ficm and then start and drive the truck and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bs hauler, not sure if this matters or not pertaining to what you said about the FICM. It does have 48v cold or warm. Just got the truck back from the shop. They did a contribution test, all injectors tested bad till the oil warmed up just a little and they all snapped out of it. It only takes a couple minutes of driving and the truck will run great no matter how far the throttle is pushed down. Idk if the FICM would really warm up that fast. Outside temp doesn't seem to change how fast it snaps or of it either. And if I drive it easy for a couple miles you would never tell anything was wrong. But if you think after what I just said the FICM is still bad ill put a hair drier on it for a while and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
FICM issues are not always tied to the 48V number.
If it has not had a FICM repair/replace in 100K miles then I would start there.
The resistor solder break and other things cause low voltage but you still have to have the other segments delivering that voltage in a properly shaped signal.
My 450 had similar symptoms and I had repaired it and it had 48V but had low power but little issues with missing or rough running. I sent it to FICMFixer and his repair and update service took care of the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to see if I can find an ficm that is known to be good and try and swap them out see if it clear up. I'm also going to call ficm fixer tomorrow morning and see what they have to say. I have a very hard time believing all my injectors could be bad on a contribution test for a couple minutes then they all work 100% and actually have bad injectors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I found the problem. .. it won't let me upload the picture. But of the 4 screws that connect the two boards in the FICM, the main screw that appears to feed the board it's power was arcing and corroded. I put a new board in and tonight when I drove home it didn't act up like it always does. I'll know 100% sure in the morning when I drive back to the farm. When it's good and cold.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hope you found it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts