The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone first off Id like to thank everyone sharing and being of great help over the time I have been a member on here..

unfortunately Im having and issue with the cold start in my truck (2005 6.0). Living in south Florida making it hard to fix because the weather is warm almost all year round. At first I thought it was the glow plugs and ended up swapping them. It may have made it a bit better or it could be me hoping and making myself believe that it is lol.
After a long crank (2-4 times) it will fire up and spit out a big cloud of smoke. I am not sure if its the glow plug controller or what need some help.

The cloud of smoke is more white with blue. I dont know if that helps.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
It could be the GP Controller among other things.

I realize you are in sunny and hot Florida but you might try plugging in the block heater overnight and seeing if you get the same result of smoke.

this will probably heat your EOT up another 40* over outside air temp so I am guessing 100*+ and this temp range is more like a warm start rather than a cold start--less need for the GP system.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i am in sunny florida. but since the cold weather came though here thats the only time i noticed any issues.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
yea i am in sunny florida. but since the cold weather came though here thats the only time i noticed any issues.
Well atleast it won't be an issue for very long :winking:

But its always good to have a properly functioning GP system since the pre-heating helps prevent carbon build-up even in warmer climates.

You might want to test your GP Harness also. Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/9zisqLIkyUY

Did you replace with genuine Motorcraft GPs?

·
Registered
266 Posts
It sounds like you have stiction in the injectors. You can try running a thinner oil like Rotella T6 5W40 or an oil additive like Rev X or Archoil. Stiction only shows up when cold. If you use the block heater it won't do it if that's the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
It sounds like you have stiction in the injectors. You can try running a thinner oil like Rotella T6 5W40 or an oil additive like Rev X or Archoil. Stiction only shows up when cold. If you use the block heater it won't do it if that's the problem.
If the issue does not occur after an 80* night time temp but does occur after a 45* night time temp and if plugging in the block heater results in raising the EOT to 80* then why would that not be sufficient?

I don't fully understand the characterisitics of stiction but I thought the issue was made worse by cold engine oil.

If you have time could you provide a bit of insight? And good suggestion on the T6.

ItzJohn, what oil are you currently using?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used motorcraft GP (BERU). I also use Rotella T (triple protection) 15w-40. (its what the old owner used). I got the truck not to long ago. I am moving out of sunny florida and dont wanna have to deal with this in colder washington state weather.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also I dont have a block heater in the truck. or at least dont have the cord in it. I was gonna buy a new assembly for it.
I looked it up on google and looks to be above the starter. is that correct??????

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes, it is above the starter and is probably installed. Ford, in it's wisdom, doesn't install the cord in trucks shipped to warm weather areas. But it is easily found online ($) or at a dealer ($$).
Also, as mentioned by others, you will have better luck in cold climates with a synthetic oil, like 5w-40, or a 10w-30 dino oil. Brand is your choice. They just flow better in cold climates and results in easier starts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts