The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a small cold start issue. This morning I went out to start the pickup and it barely caught and idle like major crap for a few minutes and then died. I couldn't get it to start again and I just figured that the fuel had gelled up. I just got a chance to check the fuel filter and none of the fuel in there is gelled up but it still won't start. Is it possible that fuel could still be gelled somewhere else in the system and that is keeping it from starting?

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I've got a small cold start issue. This morning I went out to start the pickup and it barely caught and idle like major crap for a few minutes and then died. I couldn't get it to start again and I just figured that the fuel had gelled up. I just got a chance to check the fuel filter and none of the fuel in there is gelled up but it still won't start. Is it possible that fuel could still be gelled somewhere else in the system and that is keeping it from starting?

[/ QUOTE ]How cold are we talkin?....

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-6, windchill of -20

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
-6, windchill of -20

[/ QUOTE ]Do you have a tire guage to check the fuel pressure at the schraeder on the FPR? Not the best way to check but better than not.Also look in the filter & see how the fuel looks & to see if it is full.Did you try switching tanks?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have a guage on hand, but it ran great yesterday, don't know why the pump would go out over night. Fuel looked like it had just come out of the pump. Switched tanks with no results.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Don't have a guage on hand, but it ran great yesterday, don't know why the pump would go out over night. Fuel looked like it had just come out of the pump. Switched tanks with no results.

[/ QUOTE ]Shooting in the dark here ...how good are the batteries , is it spinning over normally, all the fuses good, getting a WTS light..?....

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wts light, batteries had the cable on them so I know its spinning fast enough, all fuses good...

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Try turning key on to engage glow plugs but wait at least 60 seconds after light goes out and then try to start. The glow plugs keep heating up after light goes out for a while longer. You may have a week glow plug some where also

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Wts light, batteries had the cable on them so I know its spinning fast enough, all fuses good...

[/ QUOTE ]Check the HPOR & see if the oil is still 1/2" or so from the top....You have to find out if you have fuel pressure, also ,,somehow...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glow plugs are new and I always wait at least 60 seconds on the first start of the day.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Try jumping the GPR, take a jumper cable clamp and make contact to both large lugs on the gpr, leave it on for 45 secs., then see if it fire up any easier. If it does, time for a new gpr.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gpr is brand spankin' new also. And I know the plugs are kicking on because the voltage drops.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
stop waiting 60 secs, wait 20 and crank it over, bet it starts better then, or better yet, jsut plug it in at night.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it going. Looked at getting a new cord for the heater but at almost $60 I figured I would play with it a little before I spent money on something I could fix. I knew the problem with the cord was at the plug, so I bought a new plug and put it on, plugged it in for a while and after a bit of cranking it fired up and ran. I'll check the fuel pressure at idle later this afternoon. Thanks to everyone for tossing out ideas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts