The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have a 99 Powerstroke with 260K miles on it. I Just bout the truck last week and i have been told that the injectors and GP's were this summer (6 ew injectors). Still waiting on the paper work to be mailed to me. I plugged the truck in the firs two nights i had it and when i starts it i the morning it had absolutely no issue starting but it smoked quite a bit of grayish white. The rest of the mornings i haven't plugged ti in and it still smokes the same (at least i don't see a difference). I am just curious to know if this is normal for a truck with this many miles to do this or if it looks like a have a problem. Recently I noticed a small oil drip coming from what looked to be the oil filter and when the truck was cold check oil and it was slightly below the fill line (filed it back up and haven't seen a drop since). Any advice would be very helpful and hopefully relieve some of the stress i have about it.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Hello.

So it smokes the same at start-up whether it is plugged in or not.
How long does it blow the greyish white smoke?
After it warms up then it runs fine?

What are your night-time temps?

There is a method to check whether your Glow Plug Relay (GPR) is functioning or not using a Voltmeter. I will try and find the thread with troubleshooting instructions.

Although the block heater won't be the reason for the problem, since you will already have the meter out you can also test your block heater & cord by checking resistance at the 120v plug. It should read about 15-Ohms.

Do you happen to know the brand of Injectors & GPs that were installed this summer?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
What is the ambient temperature when you are trying to start?

Can you confirm the block heater is working?

Can you confirm the GP relay is working?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know anything about the brand of the two. Im still waiting for the paper work and I'm not sure about the relay. The temp has varied from like 20 to 40.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Stubby,

Here is the link to help you familiarize yourself with a few common cold start issues and troubleshooting tips:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/hard-no-start-check-here-first-75094/

To answer your question whether this grey/white smoke on start-up is normal, I would say it is not normal at +20* or warmer.

The first step is to start simple and that is to troubleshoot the GP system.

The fact there is no difference when it is plugged in or not means we also want to see if the block heater is working properly. Sometimes the power cord flops around so much at the front bumper that the copper strands get broken and no voltage reaches the block heater element. (I just replaced my own block heater cord this past week.) Its an easy test to determine if your block heater works by checking the resistance between the two prongs of the male 120v plug with a simple meter. The meter should read close to 15 Ohms. This won't be your real issue but its good to confirm it functions correctly if you are going to be plugging it in this winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My only thing that confuses me is I've had a 93 cummins and a different ford and they both did it and i never had any mechanical issues with the dodge. any way like i aid the truck runs fine and starts fine and the smoke clears up after you drive out of the driveway.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
My only thing that confuses me is I've had a 93 cummins and a different ford and they both did it and i never had any mechanical issues with the dodge. any way like i aid the truck runs fine and starts fine and the smoke clears up after you drive out of the driveway.
Stubby, yeah I was just starting with troubleshooting tips that could rule certain issues out.

If it does this at +20 to +40 then its good to know your block heater and GP system are functioning properly for when real winter temps actually arrive.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts