The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the life of me I can't find any info on this. I'm trying to hookup a backup camera to my pioneer head unit and need to connect to a wire behind or under the dash when I put the truck in reverse. Does anyone know the color and/or location? FYI, a year ago when I installed the pioneer unit, the backup cameras were over a hundred bucks so I didn't do it. Now I just got one on ebay for $25 including shipping! My buddy has one and it looks just like all the others.
Thanks a bunch.

·
Super Moderator
25,021 Posts
I don't think you're going to find a backup lamp wire under the dash. Probably the closest you'll get is one of the inline connectors under the master cylinder in the engine compartment, or possibly the output of the trailer tow backup relay (also in the engine compartment).

For 99 trucks, the output of the backup switch is Black/Pink, going from DTRS (Digital Transmission Range Switch) on the automatic tranny (or the backup lamp switch on the manual tranny) to the bulbs, with a branch going up to the trailer backup lamp relay (located inboard of the fuse box under the hood). The output from the trailer backup lamp relay going to the trailer connector is Black/Lt Green.

But you could use one of the firewall pass-thru wires to bring the signal into the cab. They are near the driver's side hood hinge, and go inside to the lower right of the fuse panel access.

There was a major change in the electrical system for 02 models, so your wiring colors may be different.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Try green/brown in drivers kick panel. Maybe in a harness going to rear of vehicle through floor. I'm sure you can find it up high in the kick. Id look at my truck from when I installed mine, but I think the colors are different from 02 to 06

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I kinda thought there might not be a wire due to the electronics. I'll see if the drivers kick panel wire is easy to get to. I'd rather bring one from engine compartment than mess around under the dash so I'll look at that too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don't be scared. Its only when you start stripping random wires do things start to go wrong.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what it's worth, I looked around the kick panel and the harness running by the door to the rear cab and decided it wasn't worth the trouble..besides there's a mess of wires above the kick panel from a remote start/alarm I put in before and I'd rather not move anything there as long as it's working! But it was a piece of cake to hook to the black/pink wire under the master cylinder, use the spares and put it right into the dash where I wanted it. Thanks for that tip. Now I'm not sure I want to auto switch to the camera every time I put it in reverse. I'm thinking I'll undo that input to the stereo and switch to it manually when I want it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just installed a backup on a 2004 F250 with the wiring help of a 2002 model. If you unbolt the Central Junction Box (CJB), fuse panel, the plug on the bottom right there is a black with pink stripe wire on pin 1 (Connector C270f). This is voltage supplied in reverse. Plug a meter in put in reverse power on, any place else power off. This is the wire that ties into your reverse lights. Sorry about late reply but pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reverse wire under the dash for Backup camera - photo

Installed a reverse camera today on my 2005 F350 DRW Superduty. I can verify that it is the black wire with the pink strip. I actually found two of them on the back side of the fuse box. Only checked the one that was easier to get at so I used it. Works great. Just pull the kick panel off, remove the four 10mm bolts that hold the fuse box in place to get to the back of it, then unclip the small harness that hold the Black wire with pink stripe to allow easy access for splicing. I have attached a couple pictures. The wire you are looking for is the one I am touching with the exacto knife in the second photo. That is if I can succesfully upload the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just landed here while trying to locate the reverse light wire on my 2001 F250. After some frustration I called up Crutchfield and they sent me the following photo showing it under the fuse box next to the master cylinder (as mentioned in this post).

Figured a photo might help others.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
And after posting this I tackled the process of splicing into the wire. There are two boxes (each with two relays) next to the big fuse box under the hood on the drivers side.

The one with the black wire with pink stripe is the box closest to the firewall.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just landed here while trying to locate the reverse light wire on my 2001 F250. After some frustration I called up Crutchfield and they sent me the following photo showing it under the fuse box next to the master cylinder (as mentioned in this post).

X2. This is where I had to go on my 2000. All the black/pink under the dash were no go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed a reverse camera today on my 2005 F350 DRW Superduty. I can verify that it is the black wire with the pink strip. I actually found two of them on the back side of the fuse box. Only checked the one that was easier to get at so I used it. Works great. Just pull the kick panel off, remove the four 10mm bolts that hold the fuse box in place to get to the back of it, then unclip the small harness that hold the Black wire with pink stripe to allow easy access for splicing. I have attached a couple pictures. The wire you are looking for is the one I am touching with the exacto knife in the second photo. That is if I can succesfully upload the photos.

Thank you for the pictures. It was a great help, and exactly the same for my 2005 F250 crew cab SRW. I was able to quickly locate and tap into the pink/black wire.

Also I would like to share an easy way to bring the camera cable into the cab. In the door jamb there is a rubber plug. I pulled out the plug, punched a hole in the center with a hole punch, then ran the camera video cable through it and reinstalled it. Removed the plastic kick panel, once you feed through that hole the wire has to head downwards then there is an opening beneath the parking brake mechanism to bring the cable into the cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just installed a cheap chinese backup camera on my F250 to the new Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. I did not need any wire from the truck for the backup camera. The camera has three wires - black and red go to the reverse light wire and ground (I got these from the trailer hitch) and the long video signal wire goes to the radio with a short red wire sticking out of the back of the RCA plug, that's what I connected to the radio's blue/white reverse light wire and it works. Not sure if they all come that way.
For routing, I followed the harness from the trailer hitch as far as the floor of the front seat, then up through a rubber plug under the carpet and up into the dash from there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
X2. This is where I had to go on my 2000. All the black/pink under the dash were no go.

So what wire/where is it on a 2000? I want to install a camera on my 2000 F350.

·
Registered
400 Posts

This correct on 2001. Just fish the wire inside.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello. All
when I installed a rear view camera I took it a step further and installed a second camera on my front bumper too. as I am a 4 wheeler when cresting a hill top I can see where I am before I get into trouble. both these cameras are controlled over a single poll double through switch, so up is front and down is rear plus not using the back up power line saves some future issues with maybe my computer as it will read extra load showing maybe a code, but for that tail gate'r I can see his/her plate much easier

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for the pic. I spent about an hour looking for wires that weren't there before finding this. Saved the day, on with the install!

I registered for an account just to say that so you know I appreciate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts