The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know someone in Colorado that can fine tune my '93 7.3 idi turbo? Over the years I have replaced most of the fuel and exhaust related parts (turbo, IP, injectors, glow plugs, return lines, lift pump, down pipe) and I really want someone to check it out and dial it in. I just installed the rebuilt IP out of the box and have been running it for a couple of years. I'm getting ready to install EGT and boost gauges to help see the big picture. The truck smokes more than it used to (thick black smoke on acceleration) and smells worse than it used to. I've never messed with the fuel screw but have experimented with the timing a little bit by ear. Any time I've ever had a line on a mechanic that will still work on a truck that doesn't have a computer, they are gone by the time I try to track them down. Mechanics only want to work on Powerstrokes and newer. Any contacts out there?
Thanks

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
By your post, the only thing to dial in would be the IP. By the excessive black smoke, it sounds like it wasn't calibrated correctly. That hex head fuel screw under the triangular plate only adjusts maximum fuel under a wide open throttle. It can only be correctly calibrated by an injection shop with a calibration stand (machine). Just had mine rebuilt and calibrated by Oregon Fuel Injection, soon as it warms up this morning I've got to reinstall it. OFI seem to be a great company to deal with, they phoned me twice with updates on price and what it looked like it may need when calibrating and he assured me it was calibrated to be compatible with my aftermarket ATS turbo system. They stock off the shelf rebuilts, but I wanted my own pump rebuilt, which they did. The final bill was the lesser amount than what he said it could have been which speaks for their honesty.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pump was rebuilt by Diesel Injection Services in Grand Junction, CO. They have a good reputation. It's been a couple of years now but I'll call to make sure it was pre-calibrated. I hadn't thought of it until now but maybe they know someone that will still work on this engine. I kind of feel like it's timing the pump because I'm just a backyard mechanic and was trying to figure it out by ear. Thanks for the insight that I don't need to worry about the fuel screw when tuning. I only ever hear about people turning it up so they can roll coal. I don't want to roll coal, I just want to roll past the jacked up fancy grocery getters that used to be trucks.

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
When the pump was reinstalled were the correct timing marks used? There's marks at about 4 o'clock and marks at 12 o'clock. The ones to use are the 12 o'clock ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts