The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many posts lately saying that we need to do things differently on here. However, most of those posts have been flames, threats, or very generalized. I'm starting this thread to ask for suggestions and comments on what you would like us to do differently.

Many of the problems have stemmed from us being a victim of our own success. More people using the forums means that we have to be a little more strict in enforcing the rules. If 5 people post flames, that isn't quite as bad as 100 people posting them. We try to stop problems before they stop, but occasionally miss things or mess up when moderating. I think many of you enjoy using the forums here because we do keep them clean and on-topic.

Feel free to let us know what you would like to see changed or done differently.

Thanks,
Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
2000 F-350 Crew Cab Dually Lariat 6-speed 4x4
Black/Tan 4.10LS Fully-Loaded

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Jason:

I'm pretty happy with the way things are. You and the moderators are doing a great job of keeping the flames down to an occasional short smouldering period. That is one of the things that keeps me attracted to the site. Other sites I occasionally visit seem to devote too much time to flames and little time to substance. The Usenet site, rec.outdoors.rv-travel is a perfect example. I used to spend a lot of time there, but seldom visit anymore. Keep up the good work.

Mike

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Jason, I also am very happy to be part of this forum. I also post on other truck & hunting forums and some of those tend to use offensive and even racial language, now granted, being a “good ol boy “ from the south it would be rather hard for me to deny ever having used said language, but like most I find it offense amongst mixed company. When we post here it’s a lot like going to work everyday, if you don’t like it you should really find something else to do besides keep coming back….. So, its your site, run it as you and your moderators see fit, but be willing to accept well meaning constructive criticism but not insulting criticism. I like some others enjoyed some of fredrics posts, but I seemed to detect that he had a “better than thou” attitude concerning some subjects we discussed. That I didn’t appreciate.
I spend probably too much time here both at home and work, In fact, if I posted every visit I would have passed smokey several months ago !! overall this is the most civil site I’ve every ran across… so thanks to you guys.
Live long and prosper, Randy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Foul and deprecating language should not be tolerated. Solicitous postings and spiritual debate should be a prerogative of membership. Dissenting opinions should be encouraged and not viewed as inflammatory. That's the American way.

What is the definition of a "Flame"? Jason states some of the posts have been threats. Am I missing something here that is obvious to all others?

[This message has been edited by Captain_Hawaii (edited 07-22-2000).]

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Just my opinion and you know it is only worth considering, then you can do whatever you want.

It seems most of the problems are from the people not directly involved seeing half of what is going on. I can understand closing an entire thread if neccasary, but if you modify a post in a thread it might help if something was typed in by the moderator. I noticed one tonight that had a paragraph left in from the original poster, and the bottom had been modified by a moderator. He or she typed in something about what was once here not being nice. That is great because now I assume and hope the first part of the post was left alone. I don't want to know about everything you guys deal with and that is why I would make a lousy moderator. But at first it seemed like frederick was being picked on. Now everyone knows enough to realize you guys are doing your job and doing it well.

Also I think smokey is the one who posts as a person at times and sometimes as a moderator. I don't know how you (jason) feel about that, but I think it lets him seperate the two. He needs to be serious when doing his job, but he can play sarcasm when just being smokey. I think most of the problems are from posters not realizing that moderators and administrators don't work 24/7.

I even like how you changed the advertising, it is not as annoying as it was at first, and I have gotten used to what is there now.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Uhh, I think ALL the moderators (and Jason) partiticipate in these forums as individuals
almost as often (if not more so) as they post as moderators (or webmaster). And I think everyone's doing a great job.
Hey, Jason, how did you register before Apr 99?

DH

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
To:
Jason & Moderators

You are doing and have been doing a outstanding job !

Thank You

------------------
STEPHEN 350 4X4 SILVER XLT TINTED WINDOWS AUTO BURLWOOD DASH FORD BED LINER BANKS AIR FILTER POWER/PKG COMP/TEMP MIRROR PINSTRIPED SPOT LIGHT LUND/VISER BFG 295`S Fisher plow my truck

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
i think everything has been run and administered just about right. i think the rising "registered member" number is the most accurate testament to that. you folks are doing a lot right.

the people you've banished (or urged they leave on their own) since i've been on, were here for reasons only they know, i guess. some spewed hate; some were humorless (to a fault); some were into brand warfare; and worst of all, some took what you built and tried to turn it into their own personal pulpit --- how boring. frankly i come here for the excellent information about my ford truck; luckily, i don't give a crap about most of the controversial "opinions", although it is fun at times to banter back and forth.

anyway, i'm posting this long-winded reply to urge you to follow your instincts and continue on the path you're on. criticism is good but frankly i think you guys have hit about the right mix of control and free expression.

i've bought stuff from DIS already (great people by the way) and in the next 12 months i plan on getting at least something from all your other advertisers as i need things. in other words, i'm trying to do what i can to make sure when i log on, this site is here. anyway, listen to criticism because it'll make you stronger but definitely follow your instincts because this is the best site of its kind on the net.

------------------
00 F-350 CC 4X4 SWB PSD LARIAT

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks Jason for initiating this topic. Irregardless of how I may come across, I have very much respect for you and your entire staff. A hearty *WELL DONE!* to you all.

I do disagree with those that feel "this is Jasons site" and Jason can do whatever he pleases. My membership is not owned by Jason. It is a two way street. Jasons site rides on the backs of thousands of individuals that have chosen to become members of this site.

I would like for the membership to have some say in in the policies of this site. The recent Frederick event is a case in point.

What is the F-D.com policy on editing individual posts presented on this site? My current opinion is that your policy may be to harsh and you may have developed an intolerance of *spirited* folks.

And I think we all need to help Jason develop a sense of humor
Come on Boss! lighten up! Thanks....boondocker

------------------
00F350,NVK5,XLT,PSD,4X4,3.73LS,SRW,Crew,Shorty,Auto,Ford-Diesel.com ball cap and 2 Ford-Diesel.com license plate brackets.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
AS POSTED IN FULL IN ANOTHER THREAD.

Think about it.
The type person who drives a diesel pickup truck for fun and sport is not the ordinary run of the mill human being. He/she has the tendency to go to extremes in what ever they do, if only it is to purchase the best, most economical longest lasting pickup of whatever brand they choose.
This is where one of the problems begin. This is FORD repeat FORD-diesel.com, not Dodge not Chevrolet or GMC, FORD. Why so many enthusiasts of other manufactures come here and gripe I will never understand
Take this with the strong ego and independence of the average diesel pickup operator and it is going to lead into problems.
Most of us have a lot in common that is our Ford diesel pickup; than there are the others with their opinions and ideas of what is correct and better.
I for one do not care what they like or do not like, if I wanted it I would have it.
This leads to a lot of tension and the possible destruction of the site.
It is the destruction of the site and open capability to cause disruption that is the agenda of many a non-Ford member.
This is where the mediators, administrators, referees come in.
It is there job to make all look good and keep a smile on all the peoples faces allowing for all a little bit of enjoyment and the opportunity to learn and understand our prized Ford diesel utility vehicle better.
I for one have to give the administrators credit; they are all doing a fine job.
This type of person is here because it is run the way it is run. Not because of any individual, but because of the forum as a whole.
It is a hard row to hoe in keeping ALL of us in line when the availability of admittance is free.
People are only human and liable to make mistakes, that goes for both sides.
If management does make mistakes to often, they are replaced, if not the business falters.

Thank You Jason, for the fine job you and your administrative staff has shown us in keeping our forum a place of sane conversation.
Those of us who do enjoy our Ford's, appreciate what you have done for us.

Jimmy

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
StrayCat:

Good post! A lot of things you said here ring true. Most of us are the independent type and can at times be difficult at best. Jason and crew have done an outstanding job of keeping the peace here. Well done!

Mike

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I would love to transfer a thread I saw on another site recently, but it was real bad. Worst part is it was rampant. Asterics more than words.
I'm sorry, but I still read the words in my head even if they aren't spelled out. Sure, I use some of these at times, but this is not the place. These posts I am refferring to were even directed at another member. The offended member had to defend himself. I remember thinking, "where's Smokey?"
oops, wrong site.
Guys, I beleive the rules are pretty simple and straight forward, have intelligent conversation, don't go crazy with vulgarity, and dispariging another member or moderator is no good. If it weren't for these rules, Jason's site would not be 8000+ members. How many are just watching?
The moderators are doing a great job (yeh, I've been busted, privately even) and thankless at that. It seems to take a thread like this for people to come out and say this, but were so quick to post in this forum of the things that we don't agree with. But, I guess that's no different than everyday life.
I also beleive that Jason and the moderators need to be prepared for constructive criticism at times, which they probably are. We need to be able to voice our opinion, yet it doesn't mean things will change, just that we have said our peace.
My .02

Bob

------------------
99.5SD PSD, CC, Black, 4X4Off Road, Lariat, Superchip Hot, Amsoil from front to back. My 99.5 Superduty Turbo Brake, A-Pillar with Trans Temp, Boost, and EGT Guages. www.dieselsite.com Southeastern Rally

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Boondocker,

The current policy on moderating, editing or deleting posts on this forum is outlined to you at the time you sign up for membership. If you forgot what the policy looks like or were the speedreader clicker when you signed up then here is a way to see what you may have missed: http://forums.ford-diesel.com:8080/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree

I am not going to speak of what specific violations Frederick committed because those issues are closed and they were between Ford-Diesel.com and Frederick. What I can say is that they were numerous and all were violations of the outlined rules.

Intolerance is most definitely the correct word. Unfortunately the way you have used it seems to water down the issue. Tolerance to opinion, style and general content is expected from the membership as well as it is from the administrators. Tolerance to repeated violations of the rules becomes foolhardy and counterproductive. For example: I am sure if I were pinching you on the arm and you asked me to stop after each time I did it there would be two or three instances of your "tolerance" before you also became "intolerant" and intervened. I don't believe that anyone would blame you for your spell of intolerance in this situation. Since no one had been physically abused here we let it go much longer than two or three times. At the time of Frederick's voluntary removal Jason would probably have continued to let it go if Frederick himself did not ask to be removed.

Speaking for myself and likey the other moderators, we had little problem with Frederick's "spirit". We have many other members that have "spirit" similar to Frederick's and some have even much more. Fortunately the majority of them know where the lines are drawn and choose to not go over them. Some of them were warned once or twice in the past and since then have changed the way they post to keep the site the nice place it is. We cannot thank them enough for policing themselves.

Remember our Intervention is set up to provide the most benefit to the majority of the membership.

Thank you for your concern.

Keith Anderson

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Keith,

Well put. I think you covered just about everything that needs to be said on this topic.

Mike

·
Registered
521 Posts
A little different twist here.

My hat's off to Jason and the moderators... its a great site and you guys do a great job.

It has become my favored reading spot on the net.

I would like to see more FAQ's. The ones there are great but I am on of the mechanical nerds. I pound a nail straight in 1971, but I think that was an accident. Though I imagine the FAQ's take some time to produce.

I would also like the advertisers to endorse or recommend installers or mechanics in various areas.. if that can be done.

I too, try to use the advertisers because they help pay for this site. I have gotten fluids and filters from DIS - good prices, good guys.

Maybe a forum for "installations" and let guys who can do it offer their services...

I dunno.. just some thoughts from an avid reader who knows that sockets and wrenches look kinda different.

[This message has been edited by Rumpkin (edited 07-24-2000).]

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Twice now, an individual member has been the subject of a thread. One time, it was Bob Riley and the subject was entrepreneurs on the site. This last time, it was Frederick Young.

I don't think that threads discussing individual members have any business staying open. Troutly's post about wondering what became of the thread was different - he wanted to know about the disappearance of a topic. This, to me, is perfectly appropriate. However, the thread specifically about Frederick and his personality, his motivations, his relations with the moderators and owner of the site should have been closed at once. We should not talk about individual members in public - that should all be handled via e-mail.

When Jason posted in answer, I thought he would close the thread at that point. I was surprised he did not, so I posted in an effort to provide some perspective on a member's personality, one that showed a different side than might be shown here. I did this to provide some balance to the picture even though I do not think it is appropriate to discuss individual members.

I would like to see any questions like Troutly's answered, since that was wondering what became of a thread. The reasons for the thread's closure, beyond a bare bones explanation, are really none of our business and should be handled privately. If anyone is interested in the whys and wherefores, most folks have an e-mail that individual members can use to get the skinny. For those that do not post an e-mail, as I do not, then everyone will just have to wonder.

Second comment - as mods represent the site, they should be very careful to be professional in their communications. No sarcasm, no pointed remarks, just clean and professional and to the point. The mods have always been so with me, and I thank them for their courtesy. I have been reminded of policy against discussing various subjects by Smokey and I felt that while the e-mail I received was firm, it was courteous and professional and I responded by policing myself. Others, apparently, have not had such an experience and with the club growing as quickly as it seems to be doing, we are bound to start irritating each other unless we keep correspondence firm, courteous and professional. Again, this has always been my experience, but there is a current thread where another member has not had this experience.

Third, due to the amount of posts I make, somebody should be assigned as a full-time moderator for me!
Keeping me in line is a full-time job - just ask my wife!

In the end, I am quite happy with the site and hope that my comments are viewed as constructive and not accusatory. This is not my intent at all.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment. Not all sites actively seek user input and that in itself shows that this site is a cut above the rest.

Perhaps the owner and the moderators should start a similar thread about what they would like to see the MEMBERS do differently to keep this a great site to visit! How about it, mods?

------------------
Kevin

G

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carpentractor:
Boondocker,
The current policy on moderating, editing or deleting posts on this forum is outlined to you at the time you sign up for membership. If you forgot what the policy looks like or were the speedreader clicker when you signed up then here is a way to see what you may have missed: http://forums.ford-diesel.com:8080/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree
(.......Snip.....)
Keith Anderson
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the link Kieth. It does shine a bright light on the attitude of F-D.com

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JLester:
Click on the Register link at the top of this page and you will get exactly what you are looking for. In fact, it's better because people should read it before even setting up an account.
Jason

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, Jason is absolutely correct. We should all refresh ourselves on the clear and rather unfriendly policy of this site. The members of this site have no option but to submit to the whims and scrutiny of the moderaters and the webmaster(I suspect the moderators are highly controlled by the webmaster). Policy is set as their discrimination, intolerance and pleasure sees fit. Read the register link Jason is refering to. As a member you have no rights what so ever. So actually *member* is a misnomer. You are a user, not a member. This is not a club that is motivated to address the concerns of its usership. Insted, this is a site that seems to be more interested in corralling its users into a gathering of folks that can be presided over by its webmaster. You are free to come here and post under the
guidelines as set forth by Jason. You are continously encouraged to purchase from the sponsers of this site. You are occasionaly encouraged to contribute money in support of F-D.com. In return you will recieve some very good technical information. But by golly this is Jasons site, this is Jason's baby, and don't you ever forget it. www.ford-diesel.com is a user-supported site. .....boondocker

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is great, now you are cross-posting your replies across multiple topics. Another rule is broken

Seems to me that you are just trying to stir people up here and can't think of better ways to do it than just put your responses out there as many times as possible. Quite sad really. Are you jealous or what? I really don't understand your motivations. I still believe you just want something for nothing as I stated in a reply to you previously.

Users shouldn't have to click the Register link to read the rules .. it was required before they set up their account. If they don't agree with our rules, there's a nice, big, friendly Cancel button at the bottom. If you can't abide by our rules, don't use the site .. quite simple in my opinion.

Finally, the term "Member" is the standard set in the software. There is no implied rights by being a "Member" of this site. Do you become an actual member with rights to anything for free? Think about it.

Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
2000 F-350 Crew Cab Dually Lariat 6-speed 4x4
Black/Tan 4.10LS Fully-Loaded

[This message has been edited by JLester (edited 07-24-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JLester (edited 07-24-2000).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts