The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Needless to say, the factory speakers suck.

I'm considering getting some components installed up front, but I'm looking for pointers/tips/pictures from those who may have done it.

Where did you put them? Modify the pillars? Or just above the air vents and aimed up? Or did you put them on the black things that cap off the mirrors? What about cutting out the door?

Also, what size did you go with in the door? Did you get the factory replacement size, or did you swap window motors and rewire the motors? Or, did you get the adapter plate and install 5 1/4" or 6.5"?

Lastly, I'm assuming you put something else in the rear if you changed the front? Did you open up the rear door panel so you could mount 6x9"? If so, what brand did you use and can you really tell any improvement with them back there?

I plan on adding a small amp to whatever I do. I'm not adding a sub; just changing the head unit out to a Kenwood NAV and adding a back-up camera.

Thanks for any input. Pictures would be AWESOME!

EDIT -- Truck in question is a '12 XLT Crew Cab.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Check out my work log below, it might give you some ideas. In My prior install I mounted the tweets on the top of the door panel.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Component speakers in front. Alpine tweeters mounted on windshield pillars. Tweeters crossover at ~1.2 KHz. Midrange in Doors - 6" Alpines, operate from 120 HZ to ~1 KHz. (Mounted in 5 x 9 to 6" adapter plate.)

The "soundstage" is pretty good with tweeters mounted as they are. :grin2: (Didn't sound like I needed to add a center channel in middle of dashboard.)

I didn't go with bigger midrange speakers in the front because I have sub and mid-woofers in the rear. Also, since I wasn't driving the doors at high power, I was able to keep the Ford door frame connectors and wires (which are a water proof connector and pain to modify or change out.)

Mounting the tweeters on the windshield pillars is also relatively easy - minimal drilling, and didn't have to majorly take apart the dash board. I really didn't want to have to start reworking the interior or modifying the door panels, etc. .
FYI: Add Dynamat or equivalent sound-deadener in the doors to cut down on resonances. A big reason the Ford speakers sound soooo... crummy is that the doors skins resonate at different frequencies and kills the music.

Attachments

Reactions: TousleyParts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts