The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my '06 6.0 since new. It now has 130K on the odometer. Would it be advantageous to add the coolant filter this late in the game?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Really hard to say either way. But if you did, you would be able to open up the filter after a month or two, and see if it captured any material. If you didn't, you wouldn't know. I still think it is good insurance though.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
If you want the warm blanket of the filter then do it. Otherwise a simple non-chemical flush of the coolant using ELC for the refill will do just fine. Do you know your ECT/EOT temperatures?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I added a coolant filter system to my 6.0 at around 65,000 miles---Kinda wish I had got to it earlier, but now it is what it is. Just to see how/what it was doing, I removed the filter after the first 500 miles of use and cut it open. Found a lot of stuff (sand and casting flash ---mostly sand) in it. Following that, I removed the coolant filter after another 500 miles and then 1,000 (twice) and then 5,000 miles and each of those times I noted a reduction in the amount of cr*p trapped in the filter after cutting it open, so it DID seem to be doing its job. Before installing the coolant filter, I did a VERY THOROUGH system flush and then refilled it with ZEREX antifreeze and distilled water and I still got that cr*p I mentioned, though ti was steadily decreasing in amount, so I now only change the coolant filter when doing an engine oil and filter change. The whole point of doing all that was to try to keep the inter cooler from catching all the crud and stopping up, which so far (now about 115,000 miles) seems to be working as EOT and ECT temps have been running within about 5 to 8 degrees of one another after the truck has been driven for a while. Any indication of any weird temp differences would be something I would want to look into ASAP to catch the problem and fix it BEFORE it causes any more mayhem and I DO monitor both with a gauge I had made to display two needles (see pic) and ALSO with a display on my pad of both of those temps when I am driving it any real distance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Nice gauge! Where did you get it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice gauge! Where did you get it?
Thanks. I ordered it kinda custom made for me from an outfit called WESTACH (Westberg Manufacturing, Inc.) in Sonoma, CA. I also got the senders from them...one of which I installed in the top of the oil filter for oil temp and the other in the side of the block for water temp and just installed the wiring myself. It also required a light kit and I just got that from the same place and hooked it up so that it works along with the rest of the panel lights.. The little square panel it is stuck into was a blank on my truck and I used a hole saw to make the hole. There are several options available on these trucks that have various things (like a rear glass electric slider) installed in that panel to operate whatever option. It was kinda spendy to get the gauge made, but it is like what I encountered in the aircraft I flew while in the military...and it is made so that if you want to really LOOK at it, you can read the temps, but if you want to just kinda "scan' the panel, the needles travel pretty much together unless there is some kind of out of whack temperature condition. Oh, yeah...I also bought a sort of angled bezel that would hold the instrument canted upward and to the left some so it is pointed more at the driver than just straight back.

Sine the time I put it in, I've started to use TorquePro with my pad as a display and I have set that up to display the engine oil temp and the Coolant temp on the same page so I can kinda compare them to see if anything is getting out of whack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts