The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do u guys change your coolant filter?
I just bought a bunch of replacement filters and wanted to get routine schedule going.

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
When the filter stops getting hot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Once installed I changed mine at 1k, 5K, and 25K miles. I haven't seen any debris or clogging at that interval and will continue to change mine every 25K or once per year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When it gets lukewarm (vs. hot) is a good answer, but a clean cooling system will not plug up a filter and cool off. Keep in mind that the filter media is not good forever and so I replace about once a year. If using additives, I'd not replace more than once a year. You don't want to overdose with Supplemental Chemical Additives (SCA).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I change my filter every oil change. The filter is cheap and it makes me stay on top of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is no technical benefit to change a coolant filter this often. Fleetguard recommends 500 hours or 25,000 miles (and that is for over the road trucks, which have more severe service). Being a sealed system, particulate matter cannot accumulate quick enough to plug even the smallest filters and additives are typically not depleated either. In fact, there is a good reason not to change coolant filters this often: when using filters with SCA, there is a good chance you will overdose your coolant and cause precipitates to form. Changing filters in automotove service even every year is probably overkill, but done as a good measure to make sure the filter media doesn't break down.

I change my filter every oil change. The filter is cheap and it makes me stay on top of it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You use non charged filters in these trucks. Do not add SCA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts