The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 with 130k on it with a dieselsite coolant filter system. For some reason when i engage the coolant filter system by turning on the ball valves, the truck will puke shortly there after...when the system is off, no puking..psi tested the system running WOT, got to 12 psi max and then back to around 9psi steady, so headgaskets i ruled out.. Did this just prior to egr delete..wet intake under egr valve....anyway, thinking all is well, tried coolant filter again, got puking..turned it off, drove normal for a few days, just finished hammering on it.....no puking... WHY?:read: EOT 200-205, ECT 190-198. Ambient temp 70f

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Did you test the PSI while it was puking? Did you change your cap?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have changed the cap several times over the past year...each time i run the coolant filter, i get dribble from the degas...not full on puking everywhere..tested the psi after what i thought was a water pump leak.. But couldnt confirm... My mech test drove and did the test,,im pretty sure he got it as high as the psi would go,,,,everything in the bed was at the tailgate when he got back...12psi was the highest he saw...egr cooler was bad..

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would love to hear what the verdict was......i have an o4 that i previously changed out head bolts, gaskets, egr delete ect. has been running great the last 60k miles it now has 168k on it and i decided i would install a deisel site coolant filtration system on mine as well. I installed it flushed antifreeze and put new in and drove it 70 miles before i noticed it starting to puke antifreeze? starting to think the whole coolant filter is a bad idea...more problems to a truck that was running fine...ugh

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Is the Dieselsite system a bypass like most?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'll be watching this thread with interest. I just bought a Sinister coolant filter for my truck and haven't installed it yet. Now I'm wondering if I should install it or not. Anyone else seeing this issue with other filter kits?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Something that just came to me - It was explicitly stated in the instructions for my filter that I do not use any filter that has chemical compounds that aid in filtration, so as to prevent any adverse reactions. Have you replaced the dilter, and if so, did you use the same Baldwin filter or did you go with something else?

·
Registered
185 Posts
my kit came from xdp and i have only driven 70miles with the filter that came witht he kit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll be watching this thread with interest. I just bought a Sinister coolant filter for my truck and haven't installed it yet. Now I'm wondering if I should install it or not. Anyone else seeing this issue with other filter kits?
I put a Sinister on my truck and it works fine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I looked at all of them before i purchasd one and the one thing i wanted to make sure it had was the ball valves, but both sinister (MKM kustoms) and xdp, and diesel site all had great reviews. Dont really see how that would restrict my flow that much....if i close my ball valves it quits puking

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Now that you started another thread you need to pick which one you want people to help you in. :D If they are bypass systems then there is an installation issue. There is no way I can see that a properly installed bypass will increase pressure whether the valves are open or closed.

I have a DFuser and it works great. Open or closed the only difference is coolant flowing into the degas or not.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Guess you can choose which one u want to add your two cents too . . . . Same issue how about help in both?

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
These coolant filter systems are of a bypass design. I am by no means an expert concerning them but several of my dealer's customers have them installed and I did connect one for a customer so I am familiar with them to some extent. It's a fairly straight forward install that siphons off pressurized coolant from the heater core supply hose, and returns the filtered coolant to the degas hose before the degas bottle. I suspect it is there that there may be an issue.

Allow me to explain: The degas system allows produced "air" to vent from the cooling system removing hot pockets and entrapped air that can affect system pressure because unlike coolant, air is compressable and can lower the boiling point of a hot liquid, even in localized areas of the engine.

If the coolant returning from the filter disrupts the purging of formed gasses in the cooling system then you may be experiencing coolant pressure pulsations caused by these hot spots and pressure variances. I would verify that the bypass filter return hose is connected to the degas hose coming from the radiator (not the intake manifold) and as close to the degas bottle connection as possible. I suspect that the coolant flow from the filter is preventing adequate flow from the engine causing insufficient purging.

Of course, all of this coincides with a healthy cooling system including coolant/water concentration, leaks, pressure cap, airflow through the heat exchangers and the proper cooling fan operation.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Could there be a plug in the system causing an overpressurisation of the heater core, but doesn't effect the whole system until the bypass filter was installed... Bypassing the plug and allowing the pressure to hit the rest of the system?

If you are curious about this, attach a pressure gauge to the line going from the heater core hose to your coolant filter. If the pressure goes over 15 then you have a system issue that the coolant filter brought up.

Yes I'm pulling ideas out of my ass at this point. I'm not sure how extra pressure in the heater core but not in the rest of the system would be possible. But I figure it's worth a look. I don't think anyone has heard of this problem before so it would be nice to get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
No. I've had a filter setup for years and installed a ball valve so flow to the heater core could be fully shut off during the summer, similar to some of the trucks that had a factory installed vacuum valve installed at the same location. Never had a puke condition.

As Keith mentioned, where is the return from the filter connected?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the Dieselsite coolant filtration system and run the Baldwin filters that they supplied with it. I have had no issues with it at all. I ordered extra filters from them when I bought the kit. Decided to go with the Dieselsite kit after reading some bad reviews on the Sinister kit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey guys point is it didnt do it before and now it does so its got to be something I did i know so everyones suggestions are helping and MUCH APPRECIATED!!! I double checked DOC and i swear its all installed correctly i will try posting a pic tonight for you guys to examine....also appreciate the extensive breakdown.....made much more sense to me! As Family Ride brought up , its probably a little hard to follow my problem in two threads but thanks for hanging with me haha. what doesnt make sense to me is that being a bypass system i cant get out of my head that if the filter or something i installed is blocked or not working right(which would be like me turning the ball valves off) that it should bypas the filter and work like it did without a kit installed wouldnt it? I was able to drive my truck 70 miles home from work yesterday with out much if any puking but to do so coolant level was only visible int he neck of the degas bottle!

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I've lost track of what's going wrong with whose truck. Sorry if these are repeat questions, but they may clear it up for others, also.

1) What is your coolant level with a completely cold engine and the coolant system valved open?
2) What hoses did you tap into? The pic you post will help.
3) Have you checked pressure on the coolant tank?
4) Have you replaced your degas cap?

FWIW, don't feel like your the only one this has happened to. I've seen a half dozen or so posts over the years with the exact same symptoms. Some ended up being a head gasket problem, others went undiagnosed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry i have not been back on in a while but actually i thought the thread was dead.. Thanks grayson for bringing it back to life! Anyways, my latest is this....just today i decided to run the coolant filter and run it hard, well, she puke, duuhhh, turned it off, quit puking... The thing was it was puking cause the DEGAS BOTTLE WAS FULL, i mean to the cap!,,, why?? Well later on in the day i turned it back on again, got temps up hauling stuff here and there, turned truck off, quickly popped the hood, degas cap was gurgling, what ever, THen i hear a faint hissing noise! Coming from the out hose from the filter! I have looked for fluid this whole time, but it was coming out as steam unseen, releasing psi, degas bottle filling up= puking... I be damned..
So, grayson, look at your degas bottle, when it pukes and is still hot, IS THE BOTTLE FULL??
You have a leak in your line letting out psi...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts