The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
here is a pic of my installed filter, anything jump out?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Move your filter inlet line away from your turbo hot pipe. The compressed air coming out of the turbo can easily be 200*F+.

It's a long shot, but I wonder if your boiling your coolant in the filter hoses and as soon as it hits the degas bottle, it overpressures and relieves through the cap.

If you had an IR thermometer gun, you could verify the hose temperature and be sure.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
here is a pic of my installed filter, anything jump out?

:read: I replied in the other one already.

So on to the OP, worknot......so you're filtration system is being charged with pressure/steam? I can't help but believe you've got it connected to the wrong hose. I need to go out and look at mine now because it seems like there was nothing else to connect too. I have a DFuser and the instructions were about as simple as the system is so it seems hard to do it wrong.

I'll be back in a few.

Back! I forgot, I think there's something different about the Excursion with the "whatever you call it" valve because of the rear heater, maybe it's just the "Y" behind the valve but I can't see anything. You've tee'd in between that valve and the hard pipe the hose connects to that goes down to the water pump(?) right? Are you tee'd in vertical or horizontal? Just reaching for anything now....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm still wondering if there is a plug in the system past the waterpump/heads* that is preventing overpressure from hitting the degas, but once you start the flow through the filter it bypasses the plug and pops the cap.

* I presume the heater core line comes after the coolant flows through the block and heads. Is it possible that a blown HG is causing overpressure, but a plug downstream is preventing the overpressure from getting to the degas bottle in the scenario listed above?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
+1 never had an issue with my filter system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Grayson20, Dieselmac has a good point. I have your same filter set up. My hose out of the filter loops up and leans on some air conditioner piping, and is not routed near the turbo piping or laying low to the block.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is a very good point...i will see if i cant change that around....i remember starting with it there and not liking the twist it had in it. so i put it where it is in the picture. i did tie it up closer to the alternater to get it away from the turbo tube but still may be recieving LOTS of un needed heat.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
If this fix doesn't work, do an experiment... Replace the hose from the degas to the rad using normal 3/8 hose and a 1/2x1/2x1/2 PEX Brass Tee from home depot (PEX sizes are funky the 1/2 Tee is ~3/8 OD. I have a theory...and it will be cheap for you to test it.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ok sorry it took a while to get back, i finally had time to re-route my line going from the filter to the heatercore line. The line still lays right acrossy the tac tube where it comes out of the filter. The fitting with the ball valve is not overly tight but comfortably tight, and the valve is on bottom and there is a little twist in that line. I was actually more comfortable with it ont he other side. I can tweak on it and get the twist out i am sure but non the less....i drove it this morning and still puked......GRRRRRRR

·
Registered
185 Posts
sinisters hose appears to be much shorter. i will post pics of my re-route

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I was going to link in pics of my hose routing but it is easier to show Sinister's picture. Did mine the same, has been in since last fall.

Installed pic is further down the page on the right. Coolant Filter System for 6.0L Ford Powerstroke - Sinister Diesel
My DFuser looks about the same. I ran it over the AC line though but that doesn't change anything.

Ok sorry it took a while to get back, i finally had time to re-route my line going from the filter to the heatercore line. The line still lays right acrossy the tac tube where it comes out of the filter. The fitting with the ball valve is not overly tight but comfortably tight, and the valve is on bottom and there is a little twist in that line. I was actually more comfortable with it ont he other side. I can tweak on it and get the twist out i am sure but non the less....i drove it this morning and still puked......GRRRRRRR

I still think there's something simple that was done wrong in installation. It's a bypass, the hose could be tied in a knot and still not cause any problems. There's nothing about a bypass that can add pressure to the system.

I think you're the one with the XDP kit? They/he/she posted that they sent you a PM not long after this started, what came of that?

·
Registered
185 Posts
the xdp tech called me and we visited about it, the only thing that was suggested was that i re-route that hose which i did to no avail. i am going to go ahead and pick up a new degas cap...probably need one reguardless but by chance might coinencidentaly be it. He kind of started leaning to somthing more major but to much of a coinencdence that it would start imediately after the filter instal.....the xdp kit is very good quality and i researched several before making my choice and i am happy with the kit its self just not the results following the install

·
Registered
185 Posts
still no answers, and still puking.....mystery

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I still think there's something simple that was done wrong in installation. It's a bypass, the hose could be tied in a knot and still not cause any problems. There's nothing about a bypass that can add pressure to the system.
Unless the bypass is bypassing a blockage that would otherwise be containing an overpressure situation after the water pump.

I have a more keen interest in this now, as my truck just started doing this after 18 months of reliable use. I have the dieselsite setup.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I will be the first to admit to everyone that i am still running my black onyx hgs, i put those in several years ago before i heard the horror storries when i did my delete and stud job. i have 69k on these hgs and havent puked a drop, and have never had a chip. i decided i would install an xdp filtration kit and immediately i started puking, i rerouted my hoses, replaced my degas cap, still does it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
alright, I am at my Witts end. I got my truck out and drove the 120 mile round trip to work and back yesterday since i was working on my car and instead of the few drips or burps out the degas bottle when i arrived home, i was completely out of coolant in my degas bottle. i could squeeze my large upper radiator hose and it was definately hot but didnt feel like anything was in it.....as it set idleing, coolant slowly started burping back up in my bottle?????????????????

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I think your problem is more than the coolant filter!

·
Registered
185 Posts
very well could be i just cant understand the coincedence that it started the moment i installed my filtration kit. I know im on barrowed time with black onyx gaskets with 60k on them.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts