The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Concerning the OP and coolant filters I do think it is easy to be swayed by the marketing on this one but I do not even use one on my 7.3's. I have performed a couple of flushes and do not get noticeable particulate matter...maybe its all trapped in my radiator already. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
The stuff that was being called casting sand is silicate bits from silicate containing coolant degrading where the silicate precipitates and forms crystallized bits. 6.7 coolant is not a silicate component coolant. I see no trucks in my shop with coolant filters but I did see many with silicate bits. I never see impeller damage on water pumps I remove from those trucks with noticeable silicate bits. I have been flushing and replacing coolant with non silicate CAT ELC for 10+ years. Trucks with that coolant do not develop silicate dropout. 6.0 engine trucks with this done at oil cooler change have not had another oil cooler change needed due to EOT to ECT temp difference from silicate bits clogging oil cooler. In the 7 years 6.7 engines have been out I see no activity on oil coolers getting clogged so the non-silicate coolant used seems to not be causing issues. Radiators leaking- yes, some water pumps leaking- yes. Those failures do not seem to be coolant related and water pump failures have not been widespread even on 200K mile trucks without coolant ever changed.
Interesting. Thanks for posting your experiences with the 6.7. I have seen silicate dropout as you describe.

But did that hold true for the 7.3? I have seen actual sand in mine and it is conventional thought it is a product of the casting process.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
My 6.0 had the ford gold Taken out it 20,000 I have actually went to a 6.4 oil cooler Mounted by the radiator And have a more expensive coolant filter That is a permanent one 100% of the coolant goes through it on its way to the oil cooler It can be taken apart and cleaned and put it right back, I do it every 5000 miles oil change same time, when I clean the filter the filter itself is very clean except the casing itself is magnetized so it traps the casting sand I also have other things to keep my oil and coolant temperature where needs to be interestingly on the way to the Black Hills going across South Dakota with five motorcycles attached to my truck I was watching the outside temperature and my oil temperature and Coolant temperature when it hit outside temperature 95° I looked down at my oil temperature for a split second it was at 197 averaging a solid 200° I believe solidly that my oil cooler Should be maintenanced just like everything else on my truck, of course there are all kinds of ways of doing that nothing wrong with sharing it with others?
Can you explain the magnetic properties of the casting sand??

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I recall back when I had my 7.3 I installed a filter kit because at 80K the water pump failed and I found a lot of grit in the system. I also recall having to add an anti cavitation additive/supplement to the coolant and use test strips to verify content.

Is this no longer the case with the 6.7? The break down of coolant from cavitation was the main concern and use of a filter back then.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I recall back when I had my 7.3 I installed a filter kit because at 80K the water pump failed and I found a lot of grit in the system. I also recall having to add an anti cavitation additive/supplement to the coolant and use test strips to verify content.

Is this no longer the case with the 6.7? The break down of coolant from cavitation was the main concern and use of a filter back then.

I ran my 96 7.3 for 208,000 miles and changed coolant once. never needed a coolant filter.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I ran my 96 7.3 for 208,000 miles and changed coolant once. never needed a coolant filter.

I did and replaced the filter twice after they clogged with gunk. The gunk is what killed the original water pump too. It was like sand in there, whether it was casting sand, or deposits, I don't know, but once the third filter was on, never had an issue again. It was an early 99 7.3 with the Garret turbo, good running cackler. Somewhere on this site is my old thread about that install.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
It seems a description of coolant type, water type, change interval, if coolant types were switched or mixed, and flushing procedures might offer some insight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good thread that I felt I learned something by reading.

My 7.3 went thru several water pumps. I put on an aftermarket coolant filter. The first change of the filter shocked me how heavy the filter had become. I assumed it trapped casting sand or whatever else may have been in the system. Each coolant filter change after the first seemed insignificant. What was interesting is I never had to change the water pump after installing the filter kit. I do not plan to install a coolant filter on my 6.7 as it has 74,000 miles and I am still on the original pump.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Did you cut the filter open or identify what the debris was?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
ArcticDriver is on the right path. We need the people that have a coolant filter on the 6.7 too cut them open and see if they find anything. If they come back clean than you will not need one.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I had one on mine for the first 60,000 miles. Replaced & checked the filter 3 times. After the third time and no debris, I removed it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts