The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had an issue with puking coolant, dealer said it was EGR and Oil coolers and replaced them. OK heres where it got interesting. I got the truck back and two days later it started blowing coolant again. I took it back and the dealer said it had to much coolant after the flush and refill. They apparently refilled to the original max line. Thanks to this website I found a post on the Degas bottle recall and marked the new line 1/2 inch below the min line. The dealer took out several quarts they said and when I got it back the coolant level was right on my line. It was fine for a couple weeks, but all of a sudden when I checked it the other day it had puked a little but was well above the original max line. It was actually within about 1/4 an inch of running out. I took some coolant out and brought the level back down to the new line. Then all of a sudden it was low, so I put the same amount back in that I took out and it was back to perfect. Yesterday it shot back up to way above the max line and blew some out again. It seems like its the same amount of coolant every time. Its either around 1 3/4 quarts high or low. If it was a headgasket it would be gettin oil in the coolant and wouldn't be puttin the same amount bach the next day. What could this be? I havn't lost any coolant per say, it just magically disappears and comes back later. Anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I recently had an issue with puking coolant, dealer said it was EGR and Oil coolers and replaced them. OK heres where it got interesting. I got the truck back and two days later it started blowing coolant again. I took it back and the dealer said it had to much coolant after the flush and refill. They apparently refilled to the original max line. Thanks to this website I found a post on the Degas bottle recall and marked the new line 1/2 inch below the min line. The dealer took out several quarts they said and when I got it back the coolant level was right on my line. It was fine for a couple weeks, but all of a sudden when I checked it the other day it had puked a little but was well above the original max line. It was actually within about 1/4 an inch of running out. I took some coolant out and brought the level back down to the new line. Then all of a sudden it was low, so I put the same amount back in that I took out and it was back to perfect. Yesterday it shot back up to way above the max line and blew some out again. It seems like its the same amount of coolant every time. Its either around 1 3/4 quarts high or low. If it was a headgasket it would be gettin oil in the coolant and wouldn't be puttin the same amount bach the next day. What could this be? I havn't lost any coolant per say, it just magically disappears and comes back later. Anyone else heard of this?

It sounds like your head gasket.just because there is no oil in the deg bottle does mean you don't have a head gasket issue.A lot of head gasket blow around the water jackets that's were the you get your puking from

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is all the coolant disappearing to and then coming back from

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also chemical test for exhaust in coolant was negative and dealer supposedly checked gaskets a couple weeks ago and they were good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was told when you check the coolant check it when it is hot. Make a mark on the bottle and everyday you come home from driving it, pop the hood and take a look.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does everyone understand that the truck isn't really losing any coolant? I guess I shouldn't say that its "puking", more like when the coolant level is ABOVE THE ORIGINAL MAX FILL LINE it blows some mist out from under the cap. Just enough to leave some residue around the cap on top of the degas bottle. The truck has never been low except after I pulled coolant out. Then when I put the exact same amount back it was back to the recall line. It has only been an issue since it started to get cold outside. Keep in mind that it just had the coolant changed at the dealer. I was hoping maybe trapped air or something to do with running the heater, gaskets would really suck at this point. Also it doesn't do it all the time, mainly in the colder temps outside and if I really get on it before it gets up to operating temp. In 60+ degree weather or if I let it get good and warm theres no problem. Even if its cold and not up to temp theres not always a problem.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know if this is relevant or not but the EOT and ECT havn't got more than 12 degrees apart, even under hard driving conditions. Normally runs 6-9 degrees off depending on conditions. I've been told high spread is sign of head gasket issue. Dealer has supposedly checked them a couple times since I've had the truck and assures me they are good.

·
Registered
366 Posts
This may help - there have been reports that some Degas caps are not holding up well. They are popping at a lower pressure than they are supposed to. Try putting a new cap on it - they are much cheaper than all your other alternatives and on the face of what you have reported, a likely cause of what you are seeing. If you search the forum you will find lots of posts that are similar to yours.
Your EOT and ECT spread looks fine - but you didn't say what the max were. ie: Are you running above 210 - 220 ECT consistently without a load? If so your problem maybe higher pressures are generated in the EGR cooler due to the higher heat - and thus the cap can't hold it.

A large spread of EOT and ECT indicate a likely oil cooler - Egr Cooler clogging problem - not Head Gaskets. I'm not saying it can't be HG - but it seems from the input of the Diesel Techs on this forum that HG would be an unlikely choice for that indicator.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My coolant temp stays around 186-190 and the oil temp around 190-198 usually staying below 196 unloaded. If I really push it hard it will get to around 190-196 ECT and 198-202 EOT. Theres no smoke(white or black), nothing visible upon oil inspection, no loss of power, and nothing in the coolant. Don't get me wrong, I know eventually the headgaskets will probably give me trouble I just don't think thats the issue this time.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My coolant has gone and returned, up to 3/4" since it was new. I have gotten to the point that I don't care as long as it comes back home. There have been many discussions about this phenom in the past. Some say exp. of hoses etc. Nothing concrete as long as it comes back and the truck runs great, doesn't puke and has never let me down.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
69CJ coolant phenom for sure. Noticed same on mine early on how coolant goes up/down. Long ago made black mark on my d.tank just below min. mark where it alway's (so far no loss) level's off after completely cooling down.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Maybe you do have some air trapped somewhere in the system. Certainly, water expansion would not be able to move almost 2 quarts of coolant. But, air could expand that much. No idea where you could trap that much air. Heater core?

And not much of an idea how to get it out if it is in the system. Hook up a vacuum pump and keep a vacuum on it overnight? Actually if you have that much air in there a vacuum should be pretty dramatic in just a few seconds.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If it always comes back with no puking I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It only pukes when it gets above the original max line. I got the coolant back to the recall line(1/2" below the original min line) while it was at operating temp today. I also got a new cap and put it on. I then drove it a little and saw no blow off under the cap. Maybe it just had too much? I had been checking it mostly while cold. Today I adjusted while hot. I hope this fixes it. I don't wanna argue with the stealer about new headgaskets this week.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me ask a stupid question just so I'm clear. Where is the new line for the degas bottle? I thought it was 1/2" below the original min line. Also, should I be checking the level at cold or hot? I'm running outta things to check. I would think that I'd wanna be at the minimum level if its expanding this much. I'm literally going from my line(1/2" below the factory min line) to above the factory max and blowing a little out under the cap. This is very confusing for someone new to these engines.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK... I took out enough coolant to get to the 1/2" below original min line while hot. dropped some after it cooled just like I expected. This afternoon I had some runnin' around to do so I took the truck. On some back roads I drove the crap out of it. I really pushed it hard up some big hills, stopped and started at WOT up to around 65mph, and railed on it from about 30mph to 70mph. After I got home I popped the hood expecting to see some blow off, but none was there. The level was dead on the 1/2 below the min line mark I made. After I released the pressure by removing the degas bottle cap the level immediately rose to just above the original min line then slowly came back down to my line. I am really confused with all this. Has anyone else had this much trouble gettin the level right so it doesn't expand to the overflow point or is it just me?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Based on your last test drive, it sounds like you found the correct level.

I think the level rising when you depressured the system and slowly returning to the previous line is exactly what it should do. It's just a part of the pressure/temperature equilibrium process. When you quickly depressure a liquid, it has a tendency to surge or "jump" towards the area it's trying to equalize with (the air pressure outside the truck). After that, the liquid will slowly drain back into the system and, at the same time, shrink in volume as it cools. Thus bringing the level back down.

What I would be most concerned with is ensuring the liquid level is the same at the beginning and ending of a complete thermal cycle. Let the engine cool off completely, check the level, run the [email protected]#$% out of it, cool off completely, and check the level again. The levels should be the same. If not, something is coming into or leaving the system. Ideally, you'll be able to watch engine temps with some gauges to verify the truck is completely cooled off.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got ECT and EOT plus IAT on my Livewire. I've been marking the level and after cooldown it seems to be the same level, no more, no less.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Sounds like your good to go. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts