The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice.

Background) Did a coolant flush over weekend with Restore (not restore plus) to flush original Gold out. Heater core reverse flush and oil cooler reverse flush. No rust or scale so skipped R+. Did get some snot. Flushed 8 times with DI (overkill). I've had a coolant filter on for 30K (91K on truck). OET/ECT is 10 degrees (200/190) at 65 flat and level after 20 minutes. All seems "OK" for now:icon_wink:. New thermostat during flush.

#1) Now I am leaking below the TStat somewhere. I can't tell where. It's not the TStat though. Water pump?

#2) Going to dealer since I have no time. So, now I have Zerex ELC in there. Do I need to also have dealer flush the system so they can put Gold back in after repair?? I guess I can flush or replace my filter after all this too. No biggie.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Did you re-use the original spring clamp on the hose at the thermostat housing? You'll want to switch it to a better worm gear clamp. After I finished my motor, there was a small coolant leak there, so I magaged to sneak a worm clamp in there while the other factory clamp was still in place.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did reuse the spring clamp. Funny, all my other rad hoses have backup clamps, and I spaced on that one until you just pulled the blinders off my head. Doh. It doesn't look like that is the culprit. The thermostat is bone dry and no sign of coolant other than from below. I already dropped it off, tail between legs. Timing was impeccable, me having none for a few weeks. I guess my wallet will be fixing this one.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Well I hope you get away from there without getting "hosed"...no pun intended. Lol.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Tell them what coolant you want back in there if it isn't a warranty item. Don't let them put the gold crap back in. They ought to be able to save what they drain out and reuse it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts