The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lower hose on the water pump is leaking. It looks like its the hose like the band clamp is the problem. I am not sure though i replaced the top neck last year, does the lower one rust out too?
Thank you for any info
JPC

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
My experience is the junction between the water pump and the lower neck is the most frequent culprit. The pump side seems to corrode and leave a poor sealing surface for the O-ring. The "cure" is a new pump.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you RT,
All the FORD parts and pump should be here Friday. How much coolant should I expect to loose. I am not flushing it at this point. Time is an issue and we have to take our brand new Explorer in cause the A/C has a major issue and smells like burnt wires. So I will be down a car this week. Is the Zerex G-05 ok to fill it back up with?
Thank you
JPC

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
That's Ford Gold equivalent. I wouldn't use it. An extended life coolant is preferable, but you really need to use what you've got in there until you can flush. If you drain the radiator into a clean container, you can reuse it. Expect about 3 1/2 gallons. The Airtex pump is OEM and about $40 at Rockauto.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you RT.
I have never drained this truck of coolant. Had it flushed 18 months ago.
Do I drain the radiator out the bottom valve and fill into the degas resivoior. Seems like a chance for air to get in. I tryed searching on the Web no luck about filling and bleeding at least on my year.
Thank you JPC.

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
That's exactly what you do. These models are self purging. Very rarely someone gets a bubble stuck in the heater core but it will work itself out before winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts