The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 95 f350 with 7.3 and I am losing 2-3 gallons every 200-300 miles. It's not leaking anywhere I can see, it is not smoking out the tailpipe (except one thick cloud at startup after sitting all night), and I have not fuel in coolant (that I can tell) and no coolant in the oil.
Parts replaced:

Water pump (Murray)
Thermostat (motor craft )
Fan clutch (Murray )
All hoses (gates)

This is a conundrum. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi! Diesel86 I myself just went through this although, I was not using the amount of coolant that you are I was loosing maybe 1-2 cups every 200-300 miles same as you no coolant in the oil or in the fuel and no, visible leaks and no unusual amounts of smoke. Go down to your local auto parts store and pick up a test kit for checking for exhaust fumes/gasses in your coolant system it will turn green if positive like mine did. Which indicates a possible head gasket problem I was fortunate to have a spare 60,000 mi engine to swap in my truck. When we opened up the engine you could see the milky sludge in the cylinders you could see signs of it in the oil pan but, when you would pull the dipstick it would be clean we also, saw the damaged head gasket when we pulled the heads. I couldn't complain as my original engine had 998,738 mi. when we pulled the motor. I hope this is not the case with your motor maybe others will have ideas for you to check as I was typing this I thought have you checked your passenger floorboard for it being wet indicating a leaking heater core which is behind your glovebox. If your floor is dry I would definitely, get a test kit and check your coolant system for exhaust fumes. Good Luck! and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I have not checked the floorboard but I installed a heater bypass a couple of weeks ago to get my ac colder so I does not normally even cycle through the heater core.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a diesel gas test kit. I will try that this weekend and see what it tells me. It's just so weird that I'm not seeing anything in the oil no fuel in the Coolant and no issue with idling or driving.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yeah, same here my truck was still running great no, problems but, I had a 4,800 mi. trip coming up and I didn't want to damage the motor as I had it sold when I did the engine swap so, I just went ahead and swapped it out before the trip. Thankfully, the new motor did great on the trip no problems. Make sure you check your passenger floorboard for being wet replacing a heater core is definitely much cheaper than the engine. How many miles do you have on your truck?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just in case you didn't know 95-97 models will hit 399,999 mi. and then go back to 300,000 mi. Even when I sent my instrument cluster in to be repaired I had asked if they could change the mileage to read the true mileage he said yeah, no problem then I told him that the odometer should read 998,738 and he just laughed and said no, Ford didn't put a number 4 in their PSOM. Apparently, Ford didn't think that there trucks would last that long.Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I saw an interesting video of a guy probing an instrument cluster proving that that little part wasn't printed in the board to allow it to make any numbers higher than 3. Weird

1 - 8 of 8 Posts