The Diesel Stop banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have developed a leak where the water neck outlet bolts to the waterpump. It appears to be a failed o-ring seal. I changed my lower radiator hose a few months ago and the old one was really seized to the outlet neck. Its possible my twisting and pulling on the lower hose stressed this o-ring:

Ford F81Z-8255-AA - GASKET

Do you think I will be able to simply replace the o-ring or is it common for the outlet pipe flange to become distorted?

Note: The photo is not my own water neck outlet. Its just an image I found and is much "beefier" than my original one. I just want to show the location of the leak.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
I don't think your twisting and pulling had anything to do with it leaking.

You probably won't like what you see when you get it apart but you should be able to repair it with a combination of an O-ring, some good silicone sealer, some emery cloth, and some patients.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
There are two outlet pipes. One is cast and 1/4 larger than the stamped steel version ford uses. The hoses are different. I do not think the orings are different but not sure.
Take the outlet off. Use a scraper or screwdriver to clean out the oring recess. Dip oring in antifreeze and assemble.
Using silicone sealant on orings is a bad practice, you will have bonding and seating issues.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys. :thumbsup:

I will drain the coolant tonight and start cleaning up the outlet neck.

I was able to re-use the original Ford t-stat housing after alot of elbow grease so I have an idea what I am in for.

I was worried the "drip" was from the waterpump weep hole so I am relieved its an o-ring vs a waterpump replacement.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
There are two outlet pipes. One is cast and 1/4 larger than the stamped steel version ford uses. The hoses are different. I do not think the orings are different but not sure.
Take the outlet off. Use a scraper or screwdriver to clean out the oring recess. Dip oring in antifreeze and assemble.
Using silicone sealant on orings is a bad practice, you will have bonding and seating issues.
Most of this is not correct. First, they are inlets not outlets. Some of them are cast and some of them are made from a thin sheet metal type material. Both styles use the same hose. There is a straight style inlet that uses a different hose than the 90° one uses. The o-rings are the same but you may want to use a different one depending on how much corrosion there is. There is nothing wrong with using silicone on that connection you will have no bonding or seating issues unless you do something silly like putting coolant on it. You want it clean and dry so the silicone will fill the voids and you want to let the silicone cure before you refill it. Sometimes they are so bad you need to use epoxy or replace the inlet or water pump or both.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Yeah I was referring to coating orings with silicone sealant. Filling in badly pitted surfaces with sealant to create a sealing surfaces, is stretchy at best. Probably fine if staying local but you don't go doing that and sending them across the country. If things are too eaten up, you tell them they need to buy that new part or get them to sign off on a rigging.
The inlets are NOT the same. The cast outside diameter is exactly 1/4 inch larger. The hose ARE different. The hose has a flair on it.
This is the part number if you can make it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Nope you are wrong. The OD of the cast inlet is larger and the ID is smaller. The OD of the inlet where the hose goes is the same size on both them. They use the same hose.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
I never discussed the inside diameter.
The outside diameter is exactly 1/4 inch larger, is what I said. This is a fact. You said they are the same and they are not. This is a fact as well.
The hoses are not the same. It has a flair on the pump end of the hose. You may have gotten some snapped inner cord, mushy hose over it but you try a new tin sized hose on that cast version, it ain't happening. You are not going to expand that hose and get it onto the 1/4 larger cast piece. Been there done it. Did you note the photo?
Napa has had reports sent to them about it. The larger cast piece size hose is from a 99 listing. The standard hose physically will not go on but will with the ford tin. Napa had been sending some pumps out with the cast piece with the pump and it was causing huge problems. Again, been there done that one this issue.

You will not fit a new ford tin type hose onto the cast piece. If you have a cast piece your hose must have the 1/4 flair on the pump end of the hose.
NOTE PHOTO

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
You can twist it any way you want and post pictures but you will still be wrong. And I have a new Ford hose on a cast elbow, on my truck. So do a lot of other people, they fit fine. Now NAPA may be selling some Chinese made pump that doesn't have the right size elbow, I don't know about that.

A 99 didn't have a cast inlet, it had the thin one. So did my 97.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Im twisting stuff?
Again a stock hose for a tin piece is not going to expand 1/4.
You first say they are the same size, then you say no it's a 1/4 od bigger and smaller inside and say those are my words and you say I'm twisting things?
So again if you measure the two different pieces, you will find that the cast piece is exactly 1/4 larger. You are not going to expand a hose 1/4 inch without breaking its cords.
It is for this reason the hoses that go over the cast piece have a 1/4 flair on it.

Regarding Napa if you read what I wrote you will see that I wrote that some of NAPAs pumps were coming thru with that cast version and it was causing problems with the stock hose not fitting due to the 1/4 difference and they found that the hose that did fit came from a 99 listing.

The hose has the flair, the part number is on the hose in the picture.

Stop saying I'm twisting things. Have no motive for even doing that and that is the furthest from my nature than you can get.
This is on par with your...." You better start saving your money for a new transmission" back when I talked about switching to Valvoline Max Life when you knew nothing about it, where dead wron but just wanted to post that to upset me.
Let's not forget your you know what maneuver when I was trying to fix my Ac this past summer. "Nick, does that machine belong to the shop fixing your Ac"? "No, it belongs to the shop I do their diesel work for", "what's the model number........." Blah blah. Trying to get me to chases my tail. I did know that is what you were doing and when I said," Hey444 it's a Robinair whatever why did you want to know". You just read it and the 444 disappears off the bottom list showing who's looking. You didn't make me chase my tail pal.
I put a lot of honest effort into helping people here, so don't go around here saying I twist things, especially when you can go back and read our words.
There are lots of non professionals around here so if you have been successful in rigging something and are directing one of those people you should make them aware it's a rigging and not the correct way or you will have people patching up holes and coating orings with silicone like its the proper way to repair things because they don't know any better.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Yes you are twisting and giving incorrect information. It is real simple, the same hose fits the heavy cast elbow and the thin sheet metal elbow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.