The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.7 2014 F350 with blown engine. I already have a spare as the truck was previously flood damaged and I purchased a crashed 2013 F250 to use as donor for the electronics

Am trying to work out roughly how much it should cost for an engine swap out. Also any recommendations, I am in west palm beach but can trailer the trucks down as far as miami if needed (costs are somethimes cheaper down south)

I know its no small job and won't be cheap.

On the plus side, I am willing to do a deal with the rest of donor truck as part payment, it has usable (with minor work) 2 doors, bed, axles, transfer cases, wheels, transmission etc etc.

Pictures of the donor are attached.

thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Since you aren't worried about the donor truck, you could probably pull the motor and carry it to the location for the swap. Your truck with blown motor really needs to have the cab lifted to swap the engines.

I would venture to guess it might be a 30 hour job. Might be more.....might be less.

You would also need an oil change and Orange ELC Coolant for both cooling systems. Unless you use your blown motor injectors, you will need to have the ECU programmed for the IQA numbers from the replacement engine injectors. There should be a tag on the valve cover with the IQA numbers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tips Larry. I had not considered pulling the engine but I think I could manage as as most of the front of the donor is already gone

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not really sure, its been fine all the time Ive been working on it, and test driving it etc. then one day error came up about cylinder balance on 2 and 6, did a compression test and 6 was 35% out.

Then wen to start it and heard a clunk, which sounded internal, then tried again, engine turned over a few times and i heard a much bigger clunk (definitely metal on metal and black oil started pouring out, I was pretty sure it was terminal so figured move on to the reliable engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im strugglign to find anyone to do this. May have to tacke it myself much as I'd rather not.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to slide engine and tranny in together? I don't really want to separate them if I can avoid it.

Also I'm assuming cab would have to be raiased in order to d this, if so are we talking 12 inches? 2 feet or more?

thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
Im strugglign to find anyone to do this. May have to tacke it myself much as I'd rather not.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to slide engine and tranny in together? I don't really want to separate them if I can avoid it.

Also I'm assuming cab would have to be raiased in order to d this, if so are we talking 12 inches? 2 feet or more?

thanks
If you are pulling the engine and transmission together I am pretty sure the cab has to come off. As far as just changing the engine most of the time the cab is removed. Raising it some won't help, you will need a 2 post lift to get the cab out of the way. I have heard there is a special bracket that you use with a cherry-picker that bolts to the front of the engine that will allow you to pull the engine out the front without removing the cab.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
The engine removal does not require cab removal. Like the OP stated most of the front of the truck is already removed which makes like easier but the intake, turbo, exhaust down pipe and the crankcase breather need to be removed. Pulling it out with the trans cannot be done with the cab on and I personally do not recommend it. The Torqshift 6 is very heavy and bulky. You could perform a partial cab lift by removing all of the cab mount bolts except the rears which you loosen slightly and jack up the front of the cab structure about 4-6 inches and put blocks of wood between the front mounts and the frame.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks ford doctor. Just what I wanted to hear.

One guy who may tackle this job said a similar thing, but nice to have it confirmed.

The turbo has already been changed recently so should come off easier this time, plus I have new gaskets and clamps for the manifold etc.

Will update thread later with progress

thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 6.7 2014 F350 with blown engine. I already have a spare as the truck was previously flood damaged and I purchased a crashed 2013 F250 to use as donor for the electronics

Am trying to work out roughly how much it should cost for an engine swap out. Also any recommendations, I am in west palm beach but can trailer the trucks down as far as miami if needed (costs are somethimes cheaper down south)

I know its no small job and won't be cheap.

On the plus side, I am willing to do a deal with the rest of donor truck as part payment, it has usable (with minor work) 2 doors, bed, axles, transfer cases, wheels, transmission etc etc.

Pictures of the donor are attached.

thanks in advance
Hey I live in South Fl and was wondering if you found anyone you trusted to install your engine and what was the cost?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts