The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 6.7 L Powerstroke and have had one CP4.2 HPFP failure, and am considering installing the Disaster Prevention Bypass Kit made by S & S. I have an extended warranty and I am looking for any feedback from someone that has installed a bypass kit and had experience with the warranty being denied (or honored) with the kit installed. I have tried to get an answer from Ford, including the local service manager, without any luck. Any feedback is appreciated. The possibility of the warranty being denied is the only thing holding me back from installing the kit.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I am surprised you couldn't get an answer. If your pump should fail with the kit installed it would not be covered because you installed a modification that is not approved by Ford... or Bosch for that matter. If your extended warranty is a non-OEM policy then your coverage may not be affected. You may also be under the wrong impression the the Disaster Prevention Kit is designed to protect the pump. It is not. The kit is designed to prevent debris from a failed HPFP from contaminating the high pressure fuel rails and the fuel injectors should the bottom end of the pump fail. The one flaw with the bypass kit is that a pump cylinder failure that causes metallic debris in in the output side of the cylinder cannot be stopped from entering the rest of the high pressure fuel system. I have seen that happen. I have seen roller and cam failures, I have seen return spring failures and I have seen cylinder wall and piston scuffing damage. I am not denying the kit has it's benefits but I also wonder why the design of the pump has never been modified or updated by Bosch to achieve the same protection... but that is not what you asked. Forgive my digression. :)

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ford Doctor for your reply. I did know that the kit does not prevent the HPFP from failing, but I did not know that with the kit installed that depending on the type of pump failure that shavings would still be sent into the high pressure fuel system. I thought the kit protected regardless of the type of pump failure. That is good to know and helps with the decision, which is not to install the kit. As far as voiding the warranty, you confirmed my suspicion. My frustration with Ford when my HPFP failed was that they were so eager to find any reason to deny honoring the warranty. Right of the bat they said "we can't honor your warranty because of your auxiliary fuel tank." And I responded "what fuel tank." They said "the silver thing in your bed." I had to tell them it wasn't a fuel tank but a tool box. Seriously. Perhaps you have an answer to another question I have asked Ford and no one has an answer, and that is if they are still using the Bosch CP4.2 in the new 2021 models or if they have come up with a different pump like GM did in the Duramax. I sent a letter to Ford inquiring and received no response. A service rep. that came to our local dealer also didn't have the answer. So maybe you have an answer? Thanks again for your response, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
You make determining the cause of a failure is all about denying your warranty. You are making it an emotional issue instead of it being a matter of determining the root cause of the failure. We technicians have policy and procedures to follow that Ford Motor Company dictates. All manufacturers do this with regard to warranty coverage. Aside from that, you should EXPECT that from any techncian as it is part of the diagnostic procedure that leads to an effective repair. When a part fails, part of the job is to determine what caused the failure. It's really that simple.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you Ford Doctor for your reply. I did know that the kit does not prevent the HPFP from failing, but I did not know that with the kit installed that depending on the type of pump failure that shavings would still be sent into the high pressure fuel system. I thought the kit protected regardless of the type of pump failure. That is good to know and helps with the decision, which is not to install the kit. As far as voiding the warranty, you confirmed my suspicion. My frustration with Ford when my HPFP failed was that they were so eager to find any reason to deny honoring the warranty. Right of the bat they said "we can't honor your warranty because of your auxiliary fuel tank." And I responded "what fuel tank." They said "the silver thing in your bed." I had to tell them it wasn't a fuel tank but a tool box. Seriously. Perhaps you have an answer to another question I have asked Ford and no one has an answer, and that is if they are still using the Bosch CP4.2 in the new 2021 models or if they have come up with a different pump like GM did in the Duramax. I sent a letter to Ford inquiring and received no response. A service rep. that came to our local dealer also didn't have the answer. So maybe you have an answer? Thanks again for your response, I really appreciate it!
You state you did not know the kit would still send shavings into the high pressure system. " It does not" but rather back to the fuel tank where it would have to go through the filter system on the truck before it was reintroduced to the pump, but also contaminating the return line and the fuel tank which would need to be dropped and thoroughly cleaned and flushed out. S & S now offers an updated kit that has an inline filter that will catch this debris before it goes back to the tank that's an add on to the original kit and also uses OEM connections to help keep out contamination and less chance of leaks. That inline screen can be used to monitor your fuel pump / system so you get a heads up of any issues during regular maintenance before they become catastrophic. If the pump starts going South the inline screen will become plugged with debris and stall the motor sooner than without the kit.
There's another company that offers a similar complete kit that used OEM connections that helps with install and returning back to OEM for resale or warranty work. That company is SPE Motorsports and their kit divides the fuel and keeps the lubrication side of the fuel separate from the supply side. To understand this better go to their site and educate yourselves. Tell them Dieseldrew2 sent ya.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yes, the warranty will be denied with the kit installed. The reason why neither Ford nor the service manager will give you an answer is because the warranty is actually provided by a third party company, not directly by Ford; so neither Ford nor the service manager has the authority to give you an answer regarding warranty coverage. They only sell the warranty. Beyond that, they have no authority or responsibility.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You state you did not know the kit would still send shavings into the high pressure system. " It does not" but rather back to the fuel tank where it would have to go through the filter system on the truck before it was reintroduced to the pump, but also contaminating the return line and the fuel tank which would need to be dropped and thoroughly cleaned and flushed out. S & S now offers an updated kit that has an inline filter that will catch this debris before it goes back to the tank that's an add on to the original kit and also uses OEM connections to help keep out contamination and less chance of leaks. That inline screen can be used to monitor your fuel pump / system so you get a heads up of any issues during regular maintenance before they become catastrophic. If the pump starts going South the inline screen will become plugged with debris and stall the motor sooner than without the kit.
There's another company that offers a similar complete kit that used OEM connections that helps with install and returning back to OEM for resale or warranty work. That company is SPE Motorsports and their kit divides the fuel and keeps the lubrication side of the fuel separate from the supply side. To understand this better go to their site and educate yourselves. Tell them Dieseldrew2 sent ya.
Thank you so much for the help and the information on both bypass kits, I appreciate it and will check out SPE Motorsports and the update to the S&S.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the warranty will be denied with the kit installed. The reason why neither Ford nor the service manager will give you an answer is because the warranty is actually provided by a third party company, not directly by Ford; so neither Ford nor the service manager has the authority to give you an answer regarding warranty coverage. They only sell the warranty. Beyond that, they have no authority or responsibility.
Thanks for the information regarding the warranty!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thank you so much for the help and the information on both bypass kits, I appreciate it and will check out SPE Motorsports and the update to the S&S.
The SPE has a return line filter to prevent shavings or other debris from getting to the tank. I plan to install their kit on my 2012 when they are back in stock. They have a very informative video on how it works, why the CP4 pump fails and how to install the kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts