The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6.7L f350 ,2017
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright been off and on with this damn pump I hear with the 17+ 6.7 the pumps don’t have as many failure rates as the older gens, because of the different filter set up, is any one with the 17+ doing anything to prevent catastrophic failure besides normal fuel filter changes and all that good stuff?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi there. As a former owner of a 7.3 and a soon to be owner of a 6.7, I too worry about the CP4. I am sure the failure rate is small but when it goes things seem to go really bad. It looks like SPE makes a pretty good disaster prevention kit. I am not sure if I will have one installed or not. If I do, I will probably do it as the engine nears the end of warranty...

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Run a decent fuel additive. There's been reports that these so called kits have still resulted in injector damage.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Run a decent fuel additive. There's been reports that these so called kits have still resulted in injector damage.
Did not know about the potential problems even with the kits. I do plan to run an additive. I have a bunch of opti-lube (XP I think) left over from the last truck but I will be doing some research to see if there's anything that's better. I bought the jug about 7 years ago so technologies may have changed since then! I am open to suggestions (knowing there's probably already a thread on this topic).

Anyway, thanks for sounding off!

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
It's not a kit problem as it's more as the potential exists that the kit will not stop the metal as advertised.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
It's my understanding that warranty does not cover this situation...

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
@69mach1377 : That's not 100% true. 1) Ford needs to show/prove that the issue isn't covered under warranty. 2) There's plenty of times it's covered under warranty when the facts show it's a pump failure.

What tends to happen is the dealership will jump right to a fuel contamination issue to get the work paid at the shop rate versus getting reimbursed under the warranty work rate. So to owner's who fall under a potential warranty claim HOLD YOUR GROUND!! Do not let the dealership or Ford bully you into it's not going to covered under warranty. Yes, it's not going to be easy but we need to push back on what they want to say happened.

Reactions: 69mach1377

·
Registered
29 Posts
@69mach1377 : That's not 100% true. 1) Ford needs to show/prove that the issue isn't covered under warranty. 2) There's plenty of times it's covered under warranty when the facts show it's a pump failure.

What tends to happen is the dealership will jump right to a fuel contamination issue to get the work paid at the shop rate versus getting reimbursed under the warranty work rate. So to owner's who fall under a potential warranty claim HOLD YOUR GROUND!! Do not let the dealership or Ford bully you into it's not going to covered under warranty. Yes, it's not going to be easy but we need to push back on what they want to say happened.

Dealers are told not to cover this issue, all they have to do is put a sprinkle of dust or water in a "fuel sample" and conclude YOU have a fuel contamination issue and right then and there they wash their hands of it scot free. That's all they need to do. This includes Dodge, GM, and Nissan diesel trucks. The "new" bypass kit from SPE addresses the issue and isolates debris where the former "kit" only bypassed the pump failure contaminated fuel back to the tank, but the "new" kit filters it in part of it's apparatus, clogs the screen and stalls the engine long before and stops more damage from being done to the entire system and does not send contamination back to the tank and filter(s). S & S Diesel has an updated kit from their original "first of it's kind" kit that does this also. As far as additives goes, on another site someone posted a test done by an independent lab and they tested between 12 and 15 different additives and in conclusion of their tests, the top 3 rated overall were in order. . . # 1 Stanadyne, # 2 Lucas, and # 3 Power Service. Take your pick or choose your own. This is the least one could do for their diesel engines along with frequent water drains and filter changes. The next recommendation was to change the filter equipment out to an aftermarket set-up similar to SPE's or another quality brands. This makes the fuel draw less restrictive from the OEM filter(s). After that would be to add a lift pump such as Airdog or Fass to keep plenty of fuel supplied to the Cp4 so it doesn't have a chance to starve for fuel and make it work much easier. S & S has refit Cp3 kits they've engineered to fit Cummins and Duramax motors to the older Cp3 pumps but have not yet finished a similar kit for the Powerstrokes, but they are working diligently on it.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Ummm, for the record, we (Ford technicians) ARE NOT told by Ford Motor Company not to warranty pump failures. We ARE however expected to determine the root cause of the failure. If there is EVIDENCE of fuel contamination, i.e. water or DEF in the fuel, then and only then is a pump failure or any fuel system failure not covered. No manufacturer will warranty damage caused by contaminated fuel whether it was put in the fuel tank on purpose, unknowingly or by accident.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wear a tin hat much??? LMAO
Head buried in the sand ?
Open your mind and eyes first !
Read up on the Class Action Lawsuits on the CP4 pump failures in Florida, Texas, etc...
then read posts of people that have had failures and see how many have been "covered" under warranties.
Since the introduction of the CP4, General Motors was the only one that solidly stood behind their warranty and honored them in the beginning for any period of time. Dodge and Ford started early on then directed dealerships not to cover them by any means including claims of contamination which is a generic loop hole to side step warranties because they willingly know they have an issue and don't want to fess up to it.

Read up on Carcomplaints.com, Morgan & Morgan's website, Docketbird.com, then get back to me.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
@dieseldrew2 : Okay knucklehead.....I quoted you as saying :
Dealers are told not to cover this issue,
To which I replied: Wear a tin hat much??? LMAO

You are just spouting FALSE infomation with what I quoted YOU as saying kuckledragger. Stop being SO stupid.

Reactions: ford_doctor

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
@dieseldrew2 : Okay knucklehead.....I quoted you as saying :

To which I replied: Wear a tin hat much??? LMAO

You are just spouting FALSE infomation with what I quoted YOU as saying kuckledragger. Stop being SO stupid.
I concur as I posted. Reminds me of then we were being accused of reflashing every 6.0L we could get our hands on.

·
Super Moderator
26,318 Posts
Personal insults are not allowed here, guys. Please knock it off.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Dodge and Ford started early on then directed dealerships not to cover them by any means including claims of contamination which is a generic loop hole to side step warranties because they willingly know they have an issue and don't want to fess up to it.
You have NO evidence to back it up. If you don't post it up then we know your word isn't to be relied upon for anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have NO evidence to back it up. If you don't post it up then we know your word isn't to be relied upon for anything.
Would love to but unfortunately I'm not privy to those documents. I have two different diesel technicians at different dealers who have told me they overheard their Regional Rep (same rep) tell the service manager this while discussing more than one case. I can only take their word for it and report. If you believe yours will be covered, great. Time will tell. Show me evidence of Cp4's recently being covered. Far and few between.
Sorry you feel the need to name call, must make you feel adequate and validate your opinion.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
TRUTH: factory reps will tell dealers that they must be careful not to warranty things that are not policy. The dealer also knows that claim trends not in line with norms will have a lot of scrutiny. If the pump or FPR in fuel rail shows rust and the parts get called for by the mfr then the claim will be denied and the dealer will have a chargebck and no good way to get that customer to pay. I worked at dealer for years and several times got cheated on warranty pay. If the dealer submits claims without correct coding or with operation numbers in wrong order then some operations will be denied. Then the service manager would tell us that mfr doesn't pay for that. The job you took 2 hours to do with good practice and no wasted motions only paid 1.1 hours. The lack of doing the job (service management) right and having good processes becomes "Ford told us not to warranty that" after a chargeback of several thousand dollars hits the service department account.
The first best efforts anyone can do is to change fuel filters at good intervals since the paper in filters can get moisture from fuel until it has captured all it can handle. Lubricity additive is the other practice that does lessen issues. There are lots of 6.7 trucks with iffy service running with no issues with 250K+ miles on the clock now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts