The Diesel Stop banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
This may have been discussed already but I read on another forum that the wiper motor shares the same ground as the CPS and PCM and that if you isolate the wiper ground that operating the wipers will no longer interfere with the PCM.

Is there any truth to this?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
This may have been discussed already but I read on another forum that the wiper motor shares the same ground as the CPS and PCM and that if you isolate the wiper ground that operating the wipers will no longer interfere with the PCM.

Is there any truth to this?

thanks
If you look at my post #93 you'll read that i isolated all the grounds and fitted ferrite chokes on the CPS and wiper harness but still failed , maybe just had a faulty Elchins Css1103.
It did make the truck idle smoother and sound a little quieter, and the Perdals where within spec, a lot better that the re-call grey one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you look at my post #93 you'll read that i isolated all the grounds and fitted ferrite chokes on the CPS and wiper harness but still failed , maybe just had a faulty Elchins Css1103.
It did make the truck idle smoother and sound a little quieter, and the Perdals where within spec, a lot better that the re-call grey one.
Maybe it was the older Halls sensor (1674 vs 1675) that was causing it. So far so good on my end with the Echlins part...Kind of odd that the PERDAL #'s went up on #4, while basically becoming perfect on #3.
It would be wonderful if someone could just make a dang sensor that worked perfectly!

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Maybe it was the older Halls sensor (1674 vs 1675) that was causing it. So far so good on my end with the Echlins part...Kind of odd that the PERDAL #'s went up on #4, while basically becoming perfect on #3.
It would be wonderful if someone could just make a dang sensor that worked perfectly!
With 2 million 7.3 PSDs manufactured and atleast 1/2 those still on the road, it sure seems like it would be profitable to manufacture/market a decent CPS and charge 2x the current price. They could simply copy the design of the old black ones. As someone mentioned, those things were so amazing that they could even "regrow hair".

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Thanks for responding with details Googs.

After about post #80 things started getting a little blurry.

·
Registered
44 Posts
any news on the quest for the ultimate CPS? Thanks for the great detailed info. I am going to dig around and see what I have. I think I may have an old original black that I installed upon first failure before the recall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Alliance AP63400

Has anyone tried or looked at the Alliance AP63400. A local power shop carries it as their standard replacement. Is this comparable to any of the Ford/IH/Motorcraft options, or better?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looked at an Echlin, BWD and Alliant today

I went around today and looked at:

• BWD CSS1603 (O'Reillys)
  • Echlin CSS1103 (NAPA)
  • Alliant Power AP63400 (local Diesel performance shop)
The Echlin was the one in the Echlin branded box as per Goog's preferred picture. The BWD and the Echlin appear to be identical. Both are identified on the box as made in Mexico. Both have the larger diameter insert with three dimples and the magnet when tested shows to be centered. They are both brownish-gray in color with a slight color difference between the insert and the top part and both have gold color pins. They are darker in color (and browner) than the second gen OEM gray recall with the purple o-ring model.

The Alliant Power just appears to be an OEM gray.

I took out the one put in by the recall which was the gray one. I am trying to find the black one that I had replaced previously. Perhaps the dealer kept it when performing the recall. Too bad as it was working fine since I had replaced it in kind.

I purchased the Echlin today. Large diameter insert and it centers a pin whereas the gray one I removed holds the pin off center. Hopefully this is the Echlin with the newer Allegro ATS675 sensor.

Now we will see if it generates the RFI issues with the wipers and/or cruise control.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ball... The F4TZ-C dark blue CPS did not "replace" the grey CPS. If anything, the opposite would be truer, as the grey CPS was released about a decade later than the dark blue CPS. But in reality, the dark blue CPS is for 94-97 trucks, while the grey CPS (which actually replaced the black CPS) is for 99 up Super Duties.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the trivia, but I'm more concerned if it's a good part or not.
Yes, its a great part for those years. Happy?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Happy?

LOL, I didn't know this forum was for snooty French waiters. I was just looking for advice on a part.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Monsieur Ball,

This site is simply full of Powerstroke owners who like to help out other Powerstroke owners in a respectful and friendly manner.

:thumbsup:

Reactions: NYB

·
Registered
926 Posts
ArcticDriver has the right idea! As this is an FAQ forum, it is important that we get the FACTS right, so as to not misinform future searchers who have the same frequently asked question. These engines were made when many of the current crop of diesel technicians were still in grade school, and the engines were obsoleted prior to many of the current technician's entry into the trade or training. So that makes it all the more important for similarly situated owners of these vehicles to be able to pass along relevant information in both a factual as well as a friendly manner.

Thanks for the trivia,.
I didn't know this forum was for snooty French waiters..
This isn't very friendly. And the concern for getting the facts straight about successive CPS sensors isn't "trivial". In addition to changing colors of the plastic bodies of the sensor, Ford/International also changed the metallurgy of the contacts, so installing the wrong sensor in the wrong vehicle can potentially lead to accelerated corrosion of the contacts due to dissimilar metal corrosion. The camshaft position sensor signal is sketchy enough as it is, without adding more potential problems that would remain undetected until a fault.

When that fault occurs in the middle of a busy intersection, (or on a four lane highway leading to and from an international airport--- don't ask me how I know) the consequences could potentially be catastrophic. Significant enough for Ford to issue a recall covering hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Recalls are not issued trivially. Manufacturers usually do all they can to skirt by these costly campaigns. So when a recall does happen, it means the issue should at least be seriously considered.

For a 1995 Econoline 7.3L PSD, the dark blue F4TZ-12K073-C is the right choice.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
When that fault occurs in the middle of a busy intersection, (or on a four lane highway leading to and from an international airport--- don't ask me how I know) the consequences could potentially be catastrophic.
I still read your responses NYB , who are ya talking about here? haha :grin2:

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
welcome back Dave!!!

The dark blue/purple cps usually works better than the ford grey.

#3 and #8 usually always fail with the grey.

The dark blue/purple has a little bit stronger magnet to pick up the cam gear better.

My truck seemed to idle better with the dark blue/purple.

·
Registered
141 Posts
also using dark blue in my 99 Icut open gray cps and twisted sensor to center super glued it drilled hole in cap hot glued it together installed it truck passed cct scared to get on hyw. like to know measurements of original cps wanted to mill some off to get sensor closer to cam wheel can't figure out how to add pictures

101 - 119 of 119 Posts