The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

The crack up top near the glass is getting worse and worse. Is there anything you can use to patch it up without having the dash replaced or refurbed? I needn't be show truck quality, just functional.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
? My cracks and such are in the (black) plastic along the front face of the dash - never had the top (or that material) crack.
Not sure what you can do to repair - or stop further damage...??? May have to just glue it - might not look pretty - unless you glue something over - or like me - get a preformed carpet style dash cover - and cover up any "repairs".
Like this one... look around on line for the right year / color you need.
https://realtruck.com/p/coverking-molded-carpet-dash-cover/cvk-mdcd1/?cparam=60026&gclid=CjwKCAjwk93rBRBLEiwAcMapUXsmTbYeGgZQwjVSPa8fnOL_D-XshYZHjTyXgdkLkmucVc9lvJqXDBoCCA8QAvD_BwE

·
Premium Member
8,573 Posts
Nothing much that you can do to fix it other than smearing glue all over it to try and stop it. It is one of the joys of having a 22+ year old vehicle.

Do a search on "dash caps" I put on on a 84 F250 and it turned out quite nice.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The crack up top near the glass is getting worse and worse.
That's indicative of a deeper problem in the dash or firewall. There shouldn't be enough stress there to open a crack like that. Have you ever removed the dash? It's not difficult to just pull back a few inches. Read this TSB:

(phone app link)

Look for twisted metal, cracking paint, or separating seam-sealer on the cowl/firewall.
Is there anything you can use to patch it up...?
Sure: Bondo, epoxy, a plastic welder, duct tape... Anything will patch it, but nothing will fix it.
...just functional.
What's not functioning right now?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Everything still works Steve. I was just referring to making a functional repair to at least stop the spread as opposed to a picture perfect looking repair. I'll throw some glue on there and look for some kind of covering as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts