The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, 6.4 leaking at the bottom of the fuel water separator. Opened it up to check the o rings and the lower one is shot but it seems that a piece of the drain manifold has cracked and the gasket is protruding but it doesn't really make sense to me. check out the photos. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Yes it appears that way, I recommend replacing the manifold assembly itself. Looks like there is corrosion around the water drain o-ring as well which will not work out for you either.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Nothing special however you will want the fuel level in the tank to be as low as possible to reduce the amount of fuel spillage. There are special tools to disconnect the fuel lines though. THis would also be a good time to replace the fuel filters and the water in fuel sensor while the housing is empty. The water collection chamber tends to grow some paraffin "cheese" and the sensor tips are known to corrode. Clean it out, snap in a new sensor. FYI if you remove the sensor to clean it the retainers break off making it unusable. The sensor is inexpensive anyway.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I don't recall the exact sizes but there are two different coupler tools needed. And I am not at work to see which tools I have and to get the numbers off them BUT this set will probably have what you need. This is a plastic set which is fine for the shade tree guys... if you are using them a lot then the better and more expensive aluminum tools are recommended.

When I know for sure I'll update this post or if someone else knows please chime in!

When disconnecting, push the connector onto the line and hold it, slightly twist the line to release the o-rings in case they are stuck, then insert the tool to release the locking springs and then pull the line off. Be prepared for fuel to drain from the lines and the fuel pump assembly. And yes, if the truck is a 4X4 the front driveshaft will be a hindrance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
To remove the sensor, turn it 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and pull out. When putting the new one in, line it up and push in without turning it. Tap it with a rubber mallet to ensure a good seal. A dab of dielectric grease on the pins and seal are recommended.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, did the job yesterday, changed the filters and the hfcm manifold, all went really well, I should have known better. Went to prime the fuel lines and followed proper procedure. Truck started up and immediately shut down. Tried priming again and again started up
Once while holding the fuel shutoff but turned off again. While going through priming process I tried rhe schradder valve bleed and the banjo high pressure bleed, absolutly nothing out of either. Let it rest overnight, this morning pulled rhe secondary filter and there was some gas In there but when I prime, no gas or anything going on in thE bowl. Went under, drained hfcm little bit of diesel out of there. Then pulled the primary filter, it is dry, i thought it might not be seated correctly, re seated it and tourqued to spec. Nothing changed.
I have about 1/4 in the tank.
Any
Ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Probably an air leak. Everything in that housing (except the pump) is on the suction side of the pump. So you may need to recheck your parts and assembly. Also, if the filter cap is not screwed on completely meaning no gap between the cap and the aluminum housing the pump inlet valve will not be pushed open or not enough. I recommend lubricating the o-ring and the inner lip of the housing with clean engine oil. I have seen this many times over the years on 6.0 and 6.4 trucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks, tried that to no avail so I removed the manifold, I believe I have lost the
Return valve plunger (part of 9G282)
cannot find it anywhere. Can this be the culprit, I have the spring and the plastic cover but it seems that when I removed the manifold the spring popped out and the plunger came out as well and I didn't realize it, is there anything I can do or do I have to purchase a whole new unit. thanks

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
If "plunger" means the thermo recirculation valve then yes, the system will not draw fuel from the tank and purge air well if at all. I do not know if the valve itself is available but I could ask my parts dept. I screwed one up once too but I was fortunate to have a couple of bad pump assemblies around to take the valve from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.