The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im new here and new to owning a 7.3. I have '00 f350 drw, it was slow to start so i changed out the batteries with new interstates, changed the starter, and the fuel pump on the frame rail....i also installed a new fuel filter and fuel filter drain valve. i went to start the truck and it would not fire...just sits there and spins. I have checked the oil, made sure fuel was getting in the bowl and pressure was good, checked all connections....it did start one time and ran great but after i shut it off ....would not start back again....i did have the famous water leak into the GEM module but have fixed the leak but cannot get a new module due to the fact that they are back ordered right now and will be out at the end of next month, my diesel guy said that the module is buzzing and he thinks this is the problem....truck has no codes stored and the tach moves when turning over, i have a ts 6 on it and it is on stock...i am lost and i cant wait a month to get a new module.....Any help would be great !!!

·
Super Moderator
25,083 Posts
Remove the chip and try again. It could be the chip is fried, not allowing the truck to start.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi, Being an 00 it may be the glow plugs or glow plug relay as well.

I assume the WTS lite cycles? However easy to check the circuit. There are 2 relays just to the right of the fuel filter, the large one closer to the cab is your GPR. One large stud should always have 12 v from the bat, the other should have voltage on it during the WTS lite on, till up to 2 minutes after WTS lite. If there is no voltage on this terminal you may have GPR failure or glow plugs that have gone bad. A quick test is to turn key off then use a VOM on ohms setting to check the large stud that supplies the glow plugs [not the one from the bat] to ground it should read in the 1 to 5 ohm region as the glow plugs are just electrical heaters. It is possible that the PCM signal to the small studs has an issue, especially with the GEM module potential problem as well. There is a wiring diagram on this site [search is your friend] and you can trace from there.

If the stud ohms OK, then you can try to jumper from the bat positive terminal to the glow plug stud on the relay. Use caution, however energizing the relay stud that you ohmed from for about 2 minutes will quickly diagnois the issue. The jumper cable should get a bit warm during the jump. This indicates at least some of the glow plugs are heating. Remove jumper and attempt to start. If the truck starts, then the GPR is bad, about 80 bucks at NAPA.

Shadetree wise, if you need to use the truck and the signals from GEM / PCM are bad, you can use the jump method on the Glow plugs. Once the truck starts and runs an gets warm, it will restart without the jump unless it cools too much....

Good luck

Coolhand

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have removed the chip and the WTS light is coming on ....ford says GEM is not avail till late sept or mid oct >>>cant wait that long!!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
What did you use to check for stored codes? Most scanners will not work with these diesel trucks. It normally takes a high end scanner to read them, and those scanners are usually capable of doing some on-board testing of the PCM.
I'm not saying your GEM isn't fried, but it sure will p you off if it turns out to NOT be the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was a ford scan tool , the guy that came over works at a ambulance reapair center, and has worked for for .....when he had the truck running he said according to the scanner everything is in parameter ....then we shut we the truck and tried to restart and the GEM started buzzing and the relays started clicking....im lost i guess i will have to consider sending it to the dealer...i work at a dodge dealer and the guys here will not touch the thing

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The gem buzzing is one thing, but relays chattering is another. That is typically from low battery voltage, bad power connections, or a bad ground. You might want to put a voltmeter on the fusebox when you try cranking and see what you have.
Check all the battery connections and clean them up. Also clean the smaller wires that are attached to the battery cable on the starter relay. Check the ground connections from the batteries. There are 2 separate ground cables, one on each battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts