The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ok will do. Any other ac system parts, condenser or anything?
Not meaning to contradict Mark & remember I'm just some random guy on an internet forum however:

Its an older truck & the compressor has failed so since you're going to the trouble of changing the compressor if it was me I'd replace the condenser and receiver/dryer at the same time and obviously the orifice tube as well. I'd also blow some kind of flush through the lines while you've got everything apart. Personally I just use gunwash but there's more expensive options available if you are so inclined.

BTW - I had exactly the same failure you experienced except that I had really good batteries and I persisted cranking until the truck fired. Then I got a really impressive smoke show while the serpentine belt shredded itself. It all happened while I was stopped for fuel so I had an audience.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Yeah, I'll agree on the receiver/dryer. Many/most compressor warranties require it anyway. A lot depends on the type of compressor failure for the other parts. If there are no solids in the orifice tube, then there probably is no real need for a new condenser, unless the fins are damaged, or it looks corroded, etc. That said, it is only money and if you are a conservative guy, then go for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So, I have replaced the compressor, dryer, condenser, orifice tube, flushed everything, install new pag oil, replace serpentine belt, and have pulled -30 vac on the system and held it, no leaks.

Now... I have connected the refrigerant can and it is open and I turn the truck on, ac high, etc and open the low side and it did take a little refrigerant but probably only like 3oz tops and it will not take any more. Also, the new compressor will not kick on. All electrical connections are back as they were. Any ideas here guys?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok, compressor is now kicking on, I had a blown fuse, but it still wont take a charge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Fixed. Had high side valve open on accident and had a bad fuse. Put un 12oz engine off then finished charge.

Truck is running again and also blowing colder than it has since 03 lol.

Thx for help and input guys!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts