The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased a 2000 F250, 7.3 with 203k miles on the clock. Previous owner said injectors were replaced with new injectors (not rebuilt/reman) at around 150k.

When I left for work last night, it was approximately 36 degrees F out and the truck had been sitting for 8 hours so it was cold. I didn't have the block heater plugged in. I let the glow plugs warm, and cycled the glow plugs 3-4 times (I now know the glow plugs stay warm longer than the wait to start light stays on). I tried to turn over the engine, but it would just crank and never actually start. It cranked fine, it wasn't slow and didn't sound abnormal. A little bit of smoke came out during/after each attempt to turn it over - hard to tell because there wasn't too much, but it looked white. Has a wait to start light that comes on, and stays on for about 10 seconds.

Tried to turn it over several times and was unsuccessful. I cycled the glow plugs several more times and was eventually able to get it to start. When it starts it runs perfectly fine, and there isn't any smoke coming out of the exhaust when it actually starts up.

Then this morning when I was leaving work it did the same thing. After several attempts to crank it, eventually I got it to where it would start, but as soon as I let off the key it would die. Finally I was able to get it to start and stay on and it runs perfectly and doesn't smoke or anything after it starts, smooth idle and no shaking. I'd say I cranked it 10-15 times before it started.

It also has the TS 6 position chip. I tried starting on position 1 (stock) and position 3 (50HP), no difference.

*Purchased it yesterday and it started fine when I went to see it, I believe it was cold. After driving 3 hours home I stopped to get fuel and turned the truck off. It turned over and started up right away with no issues at all. Seems to be only when it's cold?

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read this first- http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/hard-no-start-check-here-first-75094/#/forumsite/20512

If that checks out, I'd use a scanner to see if your engine oil temperature sensor is accurate and also try cranking it with the ICP sensor disconnected. Battery health and starter speed are considerations.
Thank you so much for the help! I followed the guide you posted and replaced my GPR and it fires up in the cold perfectly now!

I just used a OEM type relay from O'Rileys. I'm going to go ahead and order the Stancor heavy duty relay and keep it as a backup for when the one I just put in eventually fails.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Great news. I've had the NAPA GPR109 and 110 fail within a week, so I think your Stancor mod will be worthwhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts