The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i first got the truck it died on me while i was driving no warning at all it was like i turned the key off of it. i spent some time and money trying to figure out the problem and ended up replacing the idm but it was a remanufactured idm .after putting the new part on it started up and ran for about 2 months when suddenly it did the same thing it haddone before it just quit on me no warning i replaced the ipr hoping the idm didnt **** out on me again and now the fuel bowl isnt filling up and it still just cranks and cranks but no start i dont know diesels very well and i need help im running out of money my names damon

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Does the Wait-to-Start light illuminate? Is the Check Engine Light illuminated? Does the tachometer move when you are cranking it? Prior to the next time attempting to start, check the main oil level and check the oil level in the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) Reservoir (rectangular box-shaped thing on the top front of the engine. Plug is on top, driver's side). It should be 1/2" from top. Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the tach does move when cranking and the wait to start light does come on the engine oil is a little below full im going to check the hpop right now . what is the level suppose to be at ? and will that cause it to not start if the hpop level is to low?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i checked on the hpop and the level is about 1/2 inch like you said the check engine light does not come on at all only two lights that come
on wheni turn the key on is the battery light and brake i charged the batteries and another thing my fuel bowl isnt filling up

·
Premium Member
9,598 Posts
The fuel bowl not filling up would point me to the tanks, supply lines or the fuel pump. Did you try switching tanks? How much fuel is in each tank?

·
Premium Member
9,598 Posts
Are the gauges correct? I know on mine that they are not. You might want to switch to the rear tank and see what happens and if it fills the filter canister. There is a plastic foot that is on the end of the fuel pick up and when they fall off or crack they will not pick up any fuel under 1/4 of a tank. You might also try putting 5 gallons of diesel into each tank and try it.

Other than that I would suspect the fuel pump.

·
Registered
68 Posts
im not positive if this is before or after the fuel bowl, but what about the metal screen inside the fpr. I have read about a lot of clogs there and found a lot of junk inside mine. I doubt that it could completely stop flow but it may be worth a look...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Damon, just a warning: Never fill the fuel bowl by pouring fuel in at the top. You never want unfiltered fuel to get to the injectors!

·
Premium Member
9,598 Posts
im not positive if this is before or after the fuel bowl, but what about the metal screen inside the fpr. I have read about a lot of clogs there and found a lot of junk inside mine. I doubt that it could completely stop flow but it may be worth a look...
The screen is on the high pressure return side of the fuel system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts