The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to search but there is a lot of information overload about this topic.

I have a '02 SD 250 265K original owner. This morning got inside to take daughter to school and it would crank but not start. Looked at the gauge cluster and had no power to cluster, but it would turn over. Took fuse cover off to check fuses and relays and noticed when I took the cover off the cluster came alive. It cranked and when i put the cover back on it died.

I am pretty sure there is something in the connections on the back of the fuse block but wanted to get some ideas before I tore into it this evening.

Windshield was replaced many years ago.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
I'd do some fuse pulling - reinserting while watching the cluster. Move some wires around as well. Somewhere you've got an intermittent connection - the hard part is tracking it down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RT......thanks for the response it has been awhile. The funny thing is i could push in hard on the relays in the middle of the fuse box and make it either come on or go off. Is there a leak that can drip on the back of the fuse box that could affect this?

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The wet GEM was a fairly common problem, caused by either a windshield not sealing on the driver's side, or leaking clearance lights (if you had them). My b-i-l had to replace the GEM twice on his 2000 F350 Dually (on his own) before the truck was 1 1/2 years old. Ford was no help. He realized the carpet was a little damp on that side of the truck and traced the leak all the way up the A pillar to the rubber gaskets under the clearance lights. You can see tell tale results of water touching the back side of either the fuse panel or GEM.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE
Removed the fuse panel and noticed there was a bad connection from the previous installed alarm system from many years ago. Connection repaired and so far no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts