The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they no longer offer this configuration. I'm looking at a new truck and am thinking brand new since rust seems to take a bite so quickly in the NE. Here is what I'm thinking. I would like to know if someone is familiar enough with the frame layout in these trucks to know if what I have in mind is possible.

Here is what I've been thinking about. I currently have a crew cab srw short bed. It works for what I need it to do. I would not like to go any longer with my wheelbase just because i live in Mass and still need to park in tight spots and drive on tight streets. I also plow residential snow. I do tow a few trailers that I think I would feel alot better about with a dually. 7K tool trailer. 14K equipment and 14K dump trailer. I have a 2.5" titan hitch on my truck so I am set up well, but the dually would make me feel better, especially road trips when I'm towing and carrying the family.

So: Is it possible to take a crew cab long bed (172" wheelbase) or a crew cab cab and chassis (176" I think) and shorten the frame down? The frame would have to be cut and welded back together. Driveshaft would change and I'm sure some other things. I could maybe deal with going to 160" wheelbase, but no longer. I'm not opposed to a flatbed either. Are there fuel tank issues with either the pick up or cab and chassis and shortening things? Would I lose factory warranty doing this type of thing (I would expect, yes)? I've seen frames cut and re-welded very cleanly. Another option would be to put a dually axle and springs in a short bed srw pick up and do the swap that way. I figured the cab and chassis frame would be easier to work with because it is straight. Any thoughts? I haven't been able to actually look at a truck frame and just take simple measurements to know if this is even feasible. Thanks, Nick.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd guess that would do away with any warranty huh? I can always wait until it runs out. That is if the salt doesn't get it first.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The only difference between my old shortbed dually and my 15 shortbed srw are front & rear axles & rear fender flares, tire / rim size. The base frame, shocks etc were the same. So I agree, buy the SRW short bed and then covert it. The older style dually fender flares were just plastic bolt on's. Junk yard for the parts!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What do you guys suppose I could do with the GVWR of the truck? Just sticker it to take into account the additional axle rating? I run commercial plates so my current truck is registered at 11k. Have to go CDL Class A as well. Are there any axle ratios that match up with the dually vs srw? Seems like the srw are geared higher than the duallies.

Looks like I'd have to change the dually axle to a 3.55 or change the front axle to a 3.73 to match the dually.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am no gear head, so take it for what it's worth.

I don't think you can change the sticker, even though you could handle more weight. Legally your stuck with 11K no matter what you do.

The SRW trucks run Sterling Axles. The DRW run Dana 60's (I think) I further think you would have to switch out both axles to match. Either 3:73 or 4:10's A salvage yards can be your friend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts