The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get me started. Where is the fuse for this located so I can check it first? If that is not it what would I need to check next?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine was the clutch pedal position sensor. Little sensor at top part of clutch was bad making it think the clutch was pressed in which disables the cruise. Picked one up from oreillys and has been working fine.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
It will also not work if the sensor on the master cylinder is not working.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I brought my truck into the dealership for whatever work and they did a TSB/recall on the cruise control. It may be worth a visit.

·
Administrator
27,493 Posts
Can also be a bad clock spring. Does the horn work? How about the air bag light - is is on. Both signs of a bad clock spring.

Switches that affect cruise:
Brake Pedal Position Switch
Brake Pressure Applied Switch (on the master cyl)
Clutch Pedal Position Switch
Transmission Range Switch on the auto tranny
Parking Brake Switch

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can also be a bad clock spring. Does the horn work? How about the air bag light - is is on. Both signs of a bad clock spring.

Parking Brake Switch
This. I've replaced mine 2x now.
Air Bag light is on, haven't used horn but will check it. I don't even know what a Clock Spring is or where it is at. It is a auto tranny
I brought my truck into the dealership for whatever work and they did a TSB/recall on the cruise control. It may be worth a visit.
Recall work was done, thought it was cruise control bracket but that was 3 years ago so can't say for sure. But it was something for cruise control.
It will also not work if the sensor on the master cylinder is not working.
How would I check this. Also see above quote and reply.
Mine was the clutch pedal position sensor. Little sensor at top part of clutch was bad making it think the clutch was pressed in which disables the cruise. Picked one up from oreillys and has been working fine.
Auto Tranny

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Recall work was done, thought it was cruise control bracket but that was 3 years ago so can't say for sure. But it was something for cruise control.
Check by your master cylinder. They put in a new wiring harness with a fuse . . .

·
Administrator
27,493 Posts
Air Bag light is on, haven't used horn but will check it. I don't even know what a Clock Spring is or where it is at. It is a auto tranny
The clock spring is a flat wire connector (that winds around the steering column like a clock spring) to get circuits between the stationary column and the turning steering wheel. It's housed in a plastic case that mounts under the steering wheel. It winds and unwinds as you turn the wheel and can break.

If you get it to someone who has AutoEnginuity or another PSD capable scan tool, you can run a KOER Switch Test to check it out. You start the test, then push all the buttons on the steering wheel, pump the brake pedal and cycle the park brake, and it tells you which switches didn't work right.

Since your air bag light is on, I'd suspect that the clock spring is broken. You could just order one and change it out, but it would be best to confirm it's really bad with a scan tool. You need a steering wheel puller to do the work. Also remember to disconnect the batteries and wait 10-15 minutes before removing the air bag.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
There is an airbag sensor next to the radio on the back of the dashboard. It is the passenger side airbag controller.

That could be bad . . . just pull the dashboard off and disconnect the sensor. For whatever reason, disconnecting the sensor doesn't throw a code, but having a bad one does.

I never even knew it was back there, when I found it, I reconnected it, then my airbag light was lit. I disconnected it and the light went back out.

·
Administrator
27,493 Posts
There is an airbag sensor next to the radio on the back of the dashboard. It is the passenger side airbag controller.

That could be bad . . . just pull the dashboard off and disconnect the sensor. For whatever reason, disconnecting the sensor doesn't throw a code, but having a bad one does.

I never even knew it was back there, when I found it, I reconnected it, then my airbag light was lit. I disconnected it and the light went back out.
That might turn off the airbag light, but won't fix his original cruise control problem. :shrug03:

The air bag light is an indication that the circuit to the airbag thru the clock spring may be open, among other things.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Air Bag light is on, Cruise Control doesn't work, Horn doesn't work. Pretty much narrows it down. Will see about getting a Clock Spring in the next couple weeks. Thanks Guys:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 F250SD/Lariat/7.3 diesel
12 Posts

Parking Brake Switch
I also have cruise issues, changed the brake sensor, all fuses ok, ohmed out steering wheel buttons found Res and set are open, all others ok.
Guess I need a set of switches!

·
Administrator
27,493 Posts
Did you run a KOER Switch Test? That would be my next step. The switch test will also check the switches that kill cruise (brake pedal, brake pressure, park brake, transmission range)

When you say you ohmed the cruise switches, how did you determine they were OK or bad? There are resistors inside the switch assembly and unless you press the switches, they'll all read open. They're all momentary switches. The switches send various voltage signals to the PCM.
The clock spring should show continuity thru all circuits (between the switch connector and the one below the dash.)

·
Registered
2003 F250SD/Lariat/7.3 diesel
12 Posts
Did you run a KOER Switch Test? That would be my next step. The switch test will also check the switches that kill cruise (brake pedal, brake pressure, park brake, transmission range)

When you say you ohmed the cruise switches, how did you determine they were OK or bad? There are resistors inside the switch assembly and unless you press the switches, they'll all read open. They're all momentary switches. The switches send various voltage signals to the PCM.
The clock spring should show continuity thru all circuits (between the switch connector and the one below the dash.)
Replaced switches anyway and clock springs ok.
Replaced master cylinder switch also.
Did not run Koer test, not sure if Orilleys can.
Gonna investigate brake switch next

1 - 20 of 23 Posts