·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use the filter that slowly adds the SCAs????
yeah, I think I have the wrong one, with too much SCAs. It says it was designed for a 12 gallon system, these trucks are supposed to be 8 (seems more like 7 though.) I used a fleetguard filter from the international dealer (bayshore.) I anticipate running through my first couple filters pretty fast, though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why is the output side of the filter a weak point in the design? I used simple barbed brass fittings (90s and straights) and the little factory style (corbin) clamps, without weak points on my PSD.
I wouldn't use rtv gasket maker, but i guess you'll be ok. I used Permatex thread sealant (765-1188). I've used it on head bolts that go into coolant cavities and never had a leak.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why is the output side of the filter a weak point in the design?
Because of the direction the threads run, the weight of the hoses and such are always trying to unscrew it. With vibration and all, I think a back-up strap would be wise. However, I torqued it down very well, and sealed it with the RTV, so I think it will turn out okay.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Coolant filters are available without SCA's if you can't find the correct size.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coolant filters are available without SCA's if you can't find the correct size.
I hear that even Napa has one that's the right size, and most screw-on coolant filters seem to be in the same form factor. I bet someone around here even knows a part number for ordering one or another of 'em. I went to the coolant filter system because it becomes cheaper than buying SCAs in short order! Well, if you pay less for fittings than I do, anyway. As it is, it will take me a while to break even, but I should realistically be able to do so over the life of the truck... which hopefully will be longer with a filter :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
sca - special coolant additive

info explaining need :
Q. What is cavitation, and test strips, and all that jazz?

A. Contributed by Agnem...
The say a picture is worth a thousand words, so Cavitation, and then come back and read the rest of this paragraph.
There is enough information on the web as to the causes of cavitation, so I wont' get into it here. There is also additional info in our Tech Articles section. What is important is that you PREVENT IT through the use of supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA's) SCA's come in the form of chemicals which are added to the coolant, and monitored with test strips. Our IDI's require them, even though Ford doesn't acknowledge this fact very well. For normal Green low silicate coolant, the proper additive is Ford VC-8 or Fleetguard DCA-4, available from Diesel Injection Service, as well as other online sources. The test strips are also available there, and a guide for using the test strips is located HERE. An additional way of maintaining these chemicals is to install a coolant filter and use filters designed to dispense SCA's.

Q. What kind of coolant should I use then?

A. Contributed by Agnem...
This has been a difficult to answer question. This http://www.***************/forums/showthread.php?t=25499 discusses it pretty well.

edit: i can't link to that site apparently. oopse

1 - 10 of 10 Posts