The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have those injectors and a bigger turbo, then why would open wastegate at 25psi? (I am assuming those tuners told you to protect the map sensor or the truck would defuel. This would be a sign of a tuner that doesn't really know what they are doing on a 7.3) I think tuning would play a big role in how that thing runs and the egt levels. I would suggest ditching whatever "3 stage tuner" and getting a hydra with custom tunes and then clamping down the wastegate.

I have the KC38r and the wastegate is not even plugged in so it won't open. Have made up to 44 psi boost with 238/80. If yours is set to max at 25psi, then it is probably starting to open earlier meaning you are loosing some spool up and creating higher egts. With your injectors, if you floor it from a stop you would need more than 25 psi to clean up the injectors and keep egt down.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Rollin'coal man...:smoker:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The garret 38r comes with the wastegate really really loose.

With anything under a hybrid injector it should be tightened all the way down

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm running the Dieselsite.com 4" ball berring turbo with the spring held waist gate, turbo has a billet wheel and I have the large exhaust connected on the exhaust side with 4" to the end, I can make my turbo put out more boost but my truck has a 190000 on her so I'm not pushing my luck and of course I have a blow off valve so motor doesn't go into defueling mode

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What would you guys consider a safe boost level?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Honestly it’s all about the tuning.
Old tunes weren’t nearly as refined and would see much higher cylinder pressures.

With good tunes your fine to about 40 psi.

If you regularly go over that studs should be added

25 is really limiting the turbo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I need to look into the Hydra chip, hopefully they can help me out even if I can't tell them what size my stage 2 injectors are and then I'll dial up my boost, I've raised it before and it doesn't feel much different but maybe with an updated tune it would..

21 - 27 of 27 Posts