The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I hit the oposite side of a ditch with my truck last weekend.(Too fast on a back road and hit some black ice) It didn't hurt it to bad. It was a nice square shot directly onto the bumper. It did bend the front of the frame where the bumper hooks on. And it bent where the front of the front spring hangers attach. Both rails bent in the same direction. (I hope that is enough description) I can't see where it hit any other part of the truck. I did measure my front tires back to the fender and the pass is .5 less than the drivers side. I don't know if they were the same before or not?? It still drives strait.

The problem I notice now is when I am in 4 wheel drive and I turn hard at low speeds it seems like the front end is locking up. I can see the tires skid a little when I do this on the lake and on snow covered asphalt. It feels like I am running over 1" rods. I jacked it up. By hand I can rotate the wheels and nothing binds up. ?? My brothers 94 has always done this. This is signifigant enough that I think I would have noticed it before. Could the springs being out of alignment cause this?? I am really baffled that I couldn't feel it when it was on jack stands. Any other ideas??

Thanks

Dylan

·
Registered
365 Posts
That sounds like normal operation to me, in 4x4 when making hard turns its always going to bind no real way to get around it, does make a fairly nasty noise though and many poeple have posted asking the same question (even me:eek:), it is normal though. now the real solution that im sure will come along, .... get a D60/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif,
PS if you know anyone near CT or Orlando with one for cheap let me know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The measurements from tires to fenders really won't tell you anything. Has to do with front end alignment and things. There is more caster on the right than left so it tracks straight on a crowned road. You're fender could be a little off too.

My truck has never been wrecked to my knowledge and it herky jerks on a hard turn. I bet you have auto hubs, I think thats what causes it, or the axleshaft u-joints just don't want the extreme angle.

If it still tracks good and doesn't scrub off tires its probably fine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply's
I don't have auto hubs, so I know that is not it. I kinda figured that the measurement to the fender was worthless. I had to throw it out there though. I know it didn't bind like this before. I'm going to work on it some more.
Dylan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts