The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the inner axle seals on my early 99 front dana 50. I have installed new seals but do not know how deep into the axle tube to set them as there is no built-in stop. In fact I can easily drive them straight through to the outer end of the axle tube. There is a v groove cut about half an inch in from the edge of the seal area. Not sure what significance it plays, perhaps someone knows the answers? Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Here's the blurb on seal installation from the service manual:

Using the special tools, install the axle shaft oil seals.

• For model 50 axles, use special tools 205-428, 205-425 (LH), and 205-424 (RH) to install the axle shaft oil seals.
  • For model 60 axles, use special tools 205-428, 205-427 (LH), and 205-426 (RH) to install the axle shaft oil seals.
  • Place the axle shaft oil seals onto the tool, and position the assembly into the differential housing. Lengthen the tool as necessary until both seals start evenly in the axle tubes. Continue to lengthen the tool until both step plates bottom out against the housing.

It sounds like you aren't using the installer tool that are step plates that set the seal depth. Unfortunately I don't know the dimensions of the special tools.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I am trying to get by without buying the special tool but looks like I'll have to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It sounds like the same thing I am working on. (front inner-Axle oil seals, near the differential?). Was having trouble getting the old inner seals out because of the small plastic pieces (missing in your axles) on other side the oil seals prevent me from getting good edge to knock the seals out with a long pole.

I read that messing with the plastic piece can cause other problems, so looked for another way to get the seals out and found a tool (3 jaw pilot bearing puller) last night I think will do the job.

To install the new seals, I was planning on using a tool/technique, similar to one a saw in a video which suggested using a 36mm socket (with pole, extensions, etc.,). I didn't have a 36mm socket, but did have something very similar which I think will work well. On-line the specific tool made for this job (install/remove) seemed to be in the $150-$200 range while the tool I found to remove was $20.

Hope to be working on it tonight after work, in 3-4 hours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its best to pull the plastic cones out from the knuckle side using an improvised hook fastened on the end of a wooden dowel... then you can use the socket and extensions( I used a piece of wood 3/4x3/4x36or so) and attached the 3/4 drive socket and short extension directly to it. Then I hammered the end of the wood from the outside. The cones are important when you reinstall the axle as they guide the axle end into the seal without damage. Be sure to grease the end of the axle shaft and contact points of the seal prior to axle install. Have fun!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks, I may try that next time. I had already go them out by the time I read this post.

I ended up not taking out the cones, but the the pilot bearing puller worked relatively well. Not like I thought, but it allowed me to grip them and use some leverage to pull out the seals from the inside. I plan to reinstall in the morning and hopefully finish all before turkey time.

Did you getting a tool to install?

Hope I don't regret not getting one. I will find out in the morning. I don't have a 36 mm socket so am going with a 1 1/2 socket with a 30 mm socket (long) inside of it to limit how much the seal can move. Put those 2 together and you'll see what I mean. A 30 mm socket fits perfectly into the inside of the oil seal so must also be just about the same size as the axle. A 1 3/4 socket would also work, but the 30 mm did not fit in as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts