The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I picked up a 1995 dodge truck today with a Cummins engine in it. Im going to swap the Cummins in for my v10 that's in my 2001 super duty. I have the Sterling 10.5 rear axle and I was wondering what was a better axle, the Dana 70 in the dodge or the 10.5 sterling I have in it now? I really wanted the Dana 80 but i got a auto tranny cummins. thanks for the help Kyle

·
Registered
996 Posts
in my opinion, they are very comparable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[censored] i forgot the bolt patterns for the super dutys are different never mind hahaha ill try and find a dana 80 axle

·
Registered
478 Posts
Depending on your usage the 10.50 will be fine. Unless you are building a serious pulling truck I just don't think the D80 would be worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
sterling 10.5 is a good rear,wouldnt be scared to own either, but i have heard some complaints with earlier 70 rear's.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Remember that you need the speed sensor in your existing rear axle.....

You can drive a speed sensor off of the trans but it's a lot of work to swap in a comparable axle.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ya that Sterling will handle just about anything you can throw at it. I wouldn't think it would be worth trying to convert to an 80 for not that much gain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had 2# chevy K 30 square body trucks with detroit 6V53T engines. One truck with Allison and the other with NV4500. The dana rear k30 axles both failed, the yoke twisted off like butter under serious power. I now have a 1999 f350 with detroit 6V53T and double overdrive Allison trans. The ford has the locker sterling 10.5 axles. After 389k miles on rear axle the bearings are going out. But i do pull heavy loads of drill pipe, drilling equipment up to 25k lbs at 8000 ft elevation up and down mountains. I have never been nice to the truck. ALso brakes on f350 axles stop much better even on down hill steep grades loaded. the chevy dana axles were ok, for a weak gas 350 and 454 engines, but did not hold up to 450hp of big truck cubes.
Big Peterbilt's have 450hp, and some chevy 350s have 450 hp. But large Truck diesel engine have a different thing, than tiny toy pickup diesel engines.
Love the ford trucks, but in high mountains and below zero weather, 7.3 and 6.0 ford diesels are a joke.
For the price of fuel system on new computer diesel truck, i can buy complete 2 new detroit 6V53 for less than 3500 bucks.
MY 2 cents is, Sterling axles much better, for ******* truck owner with no mercy driving loaded.
If you had stock ford, axles would last a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts