The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question but someone said something that made me doubt myself today.

Working on an 88 superduty 2wd dana 80 rear end.

Any reason i shouldn't remove both axles at the same time? Someone told me it would be harder to get the splines to line up. This doesn't make sense to me.

I'm doing a brake job and the inner seal on one side is all boogered up so I want to compare to the other side to see how it fits the hub and spindle, also the seal I got is slightly different so I'm trying to determine if it will work.

I know ideally only do one side at a time so as to copy but this is the only thing I'm confused about.

If anyone with experience could give a solid answer id appreciate it greatly. Gotta get this thing back together.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I have a Dana 80 with 4.10 gears on my 2002 F350 Dually. I looked up applications and see they were used through various years with different gearing in the DRW trucks.

Anyway, I pulled both axles out of my Dana 80 two years ago when I replaced the brake rotors, had no trouble whatsoever engaging the splines upon reassembly. But, I do remember reading that some suggested doing one side at a time, keeping the side you’re working on higher, so as not to lose gear oil.
i was pulling the cover, and replacing gear oil so it didn’t matter.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir! I didn't see how it would be an issue but thought to ask the community. Have had alot of trouble with this rig so I was starting to doubt myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts