The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having an intermittent issue with the dash in my truck. At random it will power off certain things as I drive. It has no effect on how the truck runs or drives. It results in all gauges ceasing to function, the radio going off, and the power windows ceasing to function. Unaffected are the dash illumination (the gauges remain illuminated, they just don't read), the t-signal indicators & high beam indicator in the cluster, power lock function, cigarette lighter, back up alarm switch, and I can still read data from the OBDII port via my Edge Evo. When it comes back on everything returns to where it was before (radio on the same station, odometer not affected, etc.).

Sometimes if I thump the dash it will come back on, sometimes not. When it goes out its like someone hit a light switch, and when it comes back on its the same. Sometimes it will go off, back on, and back off again in a matter of seconds. Sometimes I'll go a long trip without it doing it once.

More than anything its annoying as hell. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I haven't really gotten into testing anything yet, as I've been trying to get a complete list of symptoms to post in the interest of seeing if anyone's dealt with an issue like this before.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you shut off the truck, before you open a door, the radio, power windows, etc. all continue to work for a brief period. Does anyone know how this works? I'm starting to think that whatever controls the function has gone bad.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have read a few threads and even experienced the issue where the radio and digital climate control/AC goes out briefly. I would imagine that you have seen this discussed as well, and this is something different?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't affect the climate control, but I don't have digital climate control either.

Other things I've noticed/experienced. If the truck is shut off while experiencing the symptoms the alarm will not honk when you lock the doors. Also, the dome light came on one night even after the truck was running and wouldn't go off until it snapped out of it.

I'm beginning to think that the issue has something to do with whatever controls the courtesy functions in the dash, i.e. what allows the windows, radio, etc. to continue to function for a short period of time after you've shut off the engine, but haven't opened the door.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Banging creating a change indicates the possibility of something loose. Check grounds mounted to dash skeleton frame?
Or maybe it's the module in the cluster.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking its in the cluster. Banging didn't produce repeatable results, and at times banging on one spot did nothing, but another spot did something, and sometimes no matter where you hit it nothing happened.

The other reason I think its the cluster is because at times when it comes back on the seatbelt indicator chime sounds, even though I long ago disabled that feature. Its like it momentarily "forgets" that its been programmed not to do that and then the next time it "remembers". The memory hasn't been wiped, its just not getting through whatever circuit is inside that module at the time, then the connection is reestablished and it works like it should again.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't want those to be one of those threads that talks about a problem, hints at some possible solutions, but never posts the resolution.

So, it was 100% the instrument cluster. Bismic and I talked via PM, and thanks to him and everyone here that posted to make sure that this one didn't become game of parts roulette. I sent the cluster to Advanced Auto Electronics in VA. They fixed everything, and provide a 1 year warranty. Total cost back to me was $265, plus whatever I paid to ship it to them. No more issues, and driving has become enjoyable again instead of frustrating.

I didn't want to add this initially because I wasn't sure this could have been caused by the cluster and wanted to see if the cluster remedied it (it did), but sometimes I would start the truck and the dome light would remain on. When that happened the trans was stuck in 4th gear and applying throttle if felt like it was running out of fuel. After a bit of driving, and often some pounding on the face of the cluster it would reset and go back to driving normal, whether or not the cluster function came back. Just an FYI for those doing a search in the future, or complaining about similar symptoms.

Thanks again, and this is why this forum rules!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
In 06 most of the other modules, GEM, DRL, Delayed lighting etc were integrated into 1 module in the dash cluster.
This is probably what had you.

Sorry I was late to the party.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Invaluable information, especially for those of us who are committed to these fine trucks for the long haul! I only wish I wouldn't have bad mouthed our trucks at first, before I did my research and had threads/members like this to help show me the light.

Glad you found the problem and resolution. As thorough and meticulous as you are, if you chose a vendor, they must be good.

Thanks again, as usual for passing along your experience. Much appreciated!

Btw, I just read a signature on another forum that gave me a mental picture of you banging on your dash/cluster (as I have done too). "If a hammer wont fix it, it must be an electrical problem!"

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can't really get your fist in there behind the wheel, so I kind of had to kung fu crane style peck it with my three longest fingers.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.
Another reason I am now 6.0less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts