The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently I left the key in the on position overnight. Batteries are dead and doors locked. Keypad does not operate with dead batteries. How can I get enough power to make the keypad work?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It makes one wonder what we did before vehicles had electric door locks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess where the spare key is? I was curious if you could somehow hook up to the trailer hookup to get enough power for the door locks to work.

Charles

·
Registered
573 Posts
Among other things it probably depends on how dead the batteries are. If they are really gone then, unless the source is really hi amp, it probably won't wotk. On the other hand if the amps are that high it might over load something. I suspect a possibility would be to apply a voltage to the trailer hook up that is of nominal amperage capability and wait for the batteries to charge slowly. Just guessing here mind you. Never been in quite this spot before. I used to keep a spare door lock key in my wallet for such predicaments.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Old thread but anything ever come of this? I have this same problem now...someone tried to punch my lock so i cant use a key...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The one time I locked mine in on my 99 with it running in a rest area, I placed both my hands flat on the slider glass and forced it open. The latches break easy.

Other than that, IDK. I doubt back-feeding the BAT terminal on the TT connector would work because it must be relayed to the ignition. It loses power when you shut the truck off.

I'm not sure if the latch on the rear slider is replaceable, I never fixed mine but I guess other than that call a lockout service.

Edit: if the key hole is open or can be opened up, maybe a coathanger or thin pliers on the lock rod?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=878488
Connect your charger (+) to the battery wire at the starter and (-) to ground charge it up and unlock it. It will probably have enough to unlock as soon as you turn on the charger... (BTDT)
Awesome idea...Before I answered, I was sitting here trying to think of how the batteries could be accessed with a charger from underneath and never even thought of the starter power stud.

Glad someone around here is on the ball!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I back fed power thru the trailer terminal on a Dodge to get it unlocked. Using the starter lead idea won't require buying a trailer plug either!

·
Super Moderator
25,342 Posts
FWIW, going to the starter lead won't work on older Fords that use a starter solenoid. That's why I included the drawing link.
Should work fine on a 6.0L. I know it will on a 7.3L, as the solenoid is mounted on the starter with a hot lead connected to it. There's a second somewhat smaller lead that activates the solenoid coming from the fender mounted relay on '99-'01 truck, and from the Relay Panel starter relay on '02-03 7.3L's and is the same configuration on the '03 6.0L's for sure, and likely the same on later 6.0L's.

Pretty awesome idea for guys that have the all-electric doors.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I back fed power thru the trailer terminal on a Dodge to get it unlocked. Using the starter lead idea won't require buying a trailer plug either!
That would work on some of the older trucks that were live all the time to the TT charge line but the SD's have been relayed through the ignition since 99 as far as I know. I got to think the other brands at some point all did the same. I remember coming out to a dead chevy a couple times in the 90's from forgetting to unplug the trailer overnight and something was left on in the trailer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts