The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
There are many reasons for slow forums. Running one of my own I see seasonally slow times and peaks however even though it is a niche site for a specific group of people I have noticed over the years that my traffic mimics those of the open public forums. There are many other forums out there and as mentioned, Facebook groups and media such as YouTube. The product has changed. People lose interest or no longer own relevant vehicles and have no reason to participate anymore. The bottom line is that with all of these changes any community must be run like a community that fosters communication and offers good content to remain desirable. I don't believe The Diesel Stop has lost it or will disappear any time soon however things have just gotten a little bit stale IMHO. Bottom line, it is what you make it - that goes for the Administrators, the Moderators and every single member that participates in this community.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
There are many reasons for slow forums. Running one of my own I see seasonally slow times and peaks however even though it is a niche site for a specific group of people I have noticed over the years that my traffic mimics those of the open public forums. There are many other forums out there and as mentioned, Facebook groups and media such as YouTube. The product has changed. People lose interest or no longer own relevant vehicles and have no reason to participate anymore. The bottom line is that with all of these changes any community must be run like a community that fosters communication and offers good content to remain desirable. I don't believe The Diesel Stop has lost it or will disappear any time soon however things have just gotten a little bit stale IMHO. Bottom line, it is what you make it - that goes for the Administrators, the Moderators and every single member that participates in this community.
I would not disagree with any of this and you obviously have an understanding of these things more than myself but I would say that Powerstrokes are still in abundant supply, there are many new first time owners of PSDs and they are experiencing breakdowns atleast as often as at any time and possibly more as these trucks continue to get more miles.

It seems to me a forum goal is to attract and retain as many of these new owners as possible.

I only speak from my own personal experience...there are many forums out there that cater to our niche of PSDs and the reason a person chooses one over another is a combination of many things--I have found in my own experience that an attitude of "inclusiveness" typically results in a greater share of the potential membership. Its why I am here.
I believe you nailed it..."community".

The other forums are full of egos and attempts at one-upperance and often an attitude by senior members that typical problems (for example, cold start issues) are not worth their time.

I don't see YouTube as a replacement to forums but rather a supplement. It does not replace the real time dynamic of a forum but a forum becomes less real-time as membership, enthusiasm and participation drops AND I see this happening at TDS as does the OP.

I am not a facebooker so I did not realize that was even an option. When I bought my first PSD I joined probably 4 or 5 different forums but I knew straight away that I had found my home here at TDS the first time I saw the unique level of community and comraderie that exists in the 7.3 forums (and that was directly a result of Nick). Good leadership fosters community & inclusiveness.

Have a good week Gents.

Reactions: ford_doctor

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I totally agree with articdriver.

And yes the facebook pages as totally taken over. LOTS and LOTS of activity over there. Just poping by once in awhile to chat with some friends that i made over here. Depending the time of the year i don't have much time. When time slow down it is nice to really come over

21 - 24 of 24 Posts