The Diesel Stop banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Okay, well the good news was short lived. Took it out for a test drive this morning around the neighborhood, and after getting it up to 50 or so on hard acceleration, when I slowed to a stop at the next stop sign it died. Fired back up but was not running smoothly and the Service Engine Soon light was on. Luckily I was 1/2 block from the house so limped it home and put AE on it.

P0344 - CPS A circuit intermittent
P1316 - IDM Codes Detected
P0261 - Cylinder 1 Injector Circuit Low

I ran a buzztest again and the P0261 was what came back. Started it up again and it ran smooth again, but there's obviously issues there.

So here's my plan, please let me know if something needs to be added to this list.

- Going to change my CPS again back to one of the others I tried previously
- Inspect wires to VC gasket connector
- Try to ohm out the injectors using the pins on the VC gasket
- A while back I purchased new VC gaskets, the under cover injector harness and glow plugs. Maybe now's a good time to go ahead and install those also.

So theory... could a shorted injector or wire have f'd up the old IDM? Which is why when I put in a different IDM it started right up?

TransBrain - No, the original PCM is not installed, but I'm keeping it for now in case I need to do any testing in the future.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You really need to investigate the cps issue. Checking the connector for corrosion, bat, and Vref might go a long way with your issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
While you're under the hood, pull the 42 pin connector over the left valve cover off. Check the underside of the wiring harness for any chafing. They have a tendency to rub on the valve cover.

It's unlikely a shorted injector took out the IDM. The IDM will take the entire cylinder bank offline if it detects a short. You might want to ohm the injector circuits out from the IDM connector to verify the entire wiring path is good. If you decide to do that, here's a pinout of the connector:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Pikachu - So from the IDM connector, am I ohm-ing between pin 5 and 24 for cylinder 1 (for example), or no?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, from each of the pins for the right side (even) injectors to to pin 23, and the odd injector pins to pin 24.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Also, it isn't real clear in the diagram, the wiring harness would be coming out the right side of the harness connector as it's pictured, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I put in a 4th CPS this morning (Ford F4TZ-12K073-C from RiffRaff), and also checked the ohms for the injectors, both at the valve cover connector, and the IDM connector (they were the same from either location). The values are below. Is the passenger side being higher a (potential) issue?

Cyl 1 - 4.7 Cyl 2 - 3.3
Cyl 3 - 4.2 Cyl 4 - 3.3
Cyl 5 - 4.4 Cyl 6 - 3.4
Cyl 7 - 5.0 Cyl 8 - 3.3

My assumption is that the injectors are probably ok... maybe time to change the VC gasket and UVCH on the passenger side?

Another question: So the truck started fine this morning (just to move it around the driveway). And also started fine once I limped it home yesterday and it sat for 5-10 minutes. The issue has only cropped up at speed or getting up to speed. At that point is there more voltage or something being sent to the injectors that the issue only seems to crop up then?

I have not driven the truck yet this morning with the new CPS to see if that makes any difference. Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
188 Posts
The odd side resistances are fine. What were the readings for the driver side? The solenoids themselves have a resistance of ~2.9 ohms. Then there's some added resistance at each connector, and the meter probes. Did you pull the 42 pin connector and check the underside of the wiring harness yet? If that looks OK, start the truck and start grabbing and wiggling harnesses around to see if anything changes the way it runs. This seems like it's going to be a search and destroy type of fix, unfortunately. But at least the truck is running.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The drivers side reading were posted above. All those reading were taken at the IDM connector.... so 3.3-3.4 for the drivers side.... 4.2-5.0 for the passenger side.

I have not pulled the 42-pin connector yet... was having trouble finding it and reaching it. Am going to do that next...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Took out my intake and was able to get to the 42-pin connector. There were a few wires with some worn/melted insulation, but none were showing bare wire. I wrapped that area with some flexible conduit and electrical tape. Going to hook up AE and run some tests and take it for a drive... we'll see.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Make sure and clear any codes before going out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Well, things are looking better. Took it out for a drive and got up to 3000rpm and 60mph on the neighborhood roads and no issues. However, I really did not like the shifting of the PMT1 PCM. So I came home and put my original PMT2 back in it, and took another test drive, and all seems well. No hiccups, no stuttering, no engine shutoffs.

So in the end I think my original issue was the dead IDM. My follow-up issue was due to the Borg Warner CPS (with it in, that was the only time in 4 CPS units that I got a CPS code).

I think if I ever get a tune, I'll use the PMT1 PCM and have it reflashed with the PMT2 code as stock and use it.

One last question... used AE to do a cylinder contribution test and it came back with a Cylinder 8 fault. Ran it twice, before and after a test drive and it listed that code both times. That just mean the injector on Cyl #8 is getting weak?

Thanks again to everyone that posted and helped me out over the past 10 days or so.

And if anyone in the Dallas area (especially north Dallas - Frisco/Plano area) needs AutoEnginuity, let me know.

·
Premium Member
14,983 Posts
After the truck is warmed up, look at the PERDEL for cylinder 8 and see what it really is. That will help you determine if it is really on the way out or just a fluke.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
So here are the values. Although I thought I read somewhere that the CPS can also affect the PERDEL... is that correct? But these numbers sure show #8 value as much higher...

Cyl 1 - 0.0
Cyl 2 - 0.0
Cyl 3 - 1.4 - 1.7
Cyl 4 - 1.6 - 1.9
Cyl 5 - 0.4 - 0.6
Cyl 6 - 0.0
Cyl 7 - 0.0
Cyl 8 - 4.7 - 5.0

·
Premium Member
14,983 Posts
That's within normal for #8. Since it fires right after it's next door neighbor, it has lower fuel and oil pressure to work with.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Ok cool, I'll leave it be for now then...

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks everyone in advance... I've tried to read as many of the other posts as possible, but wanted to start my own here to see what I'm missing...

So this past Thursday, leave the house, and the first time the truck gets to about 45mph it stutters like its losing power, and I glance down and the Service Engine light is on... as soon as I lift the accelerator, engine starts to run fine and the light goes out. I pull in to a parking lot and it seems to be running fine. Get back out on the road, and as soon as I get to around 45mph again it stutters again, so I try to pull in to another parking lot, and as I'm doing so, it dies.

Now it won't start at all... turns over great, but no fire. No smoke. No movement of the tach.

So here's what I've done so far:
  • Pulled every fuse to verify they were good.
  • All the lights on the dash work, including the Wait to Start
  • Replaced the CPS with a gray Ford one I had in the truck (new in bag)
  • Verified good oil level on dipstick and HPOP (about 1/2 inch or so from top of HPOP)
  • Replaced fuel filter, and with drain valve open, verified fuel flow through it when cranking
  • Unplugged the ICP and attempted start - no go
  • Replaced the CPS again with a newly purchased one from Oreilly (Borg Warner)
  • I noticed what looks like oil that has leaked out previously from around the ICP, so I bought another but have not installed it yet.
  • Reached down to see if I could move the end nut on the IPR, but it didn't budge (is that the tin nut everyone talks about?)
  • Bought an AutoEnginuity scanner and it arrived today
  • Initial codes were P1280 (ICP sensor circuit low), P1690 (wastegate solenoid circuit), P0603 (internal control module keep alive memory error)
  • Cleared the codes, attempted to start it again and the P1280 is the only code that returned.
  • Did a Key On Engine Off test using the scanner and P1280 is all it came back with.

So my first thought was "Replace the damn ICP". But from what I read in other posts, the ICP being bad "shouldn't" keep the engine from firing. And the truck being a 2001, the tach should move when cranking, correct? Cuz its not moving at all.

Its raining now, so I haven't done any other tests with the AE yet, and no, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge so I don't know what my actual fuel pressure is (I know I know). But if I'm not getting any tach movement and I'm not getting any smoke, I'm assuming the injectors aren't firing (or being told to fire).

So I'm open to suggestions on what to try next... physically and with the scanner. Thanks!
Any time my 7.3 does this its something to do with the cops. If the tach is not moving i would check the connection or the harness

·
Registered
617 Posts
21 year old thread. But good advice on the cops (CPS).

61 - 78 of 78 Posts