The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a2017 F250 with about 50000 miles on it. I have been looking for the source of oil spots on the drive way but never found anything definite. I changed my lower oil pan and installed a new Mag-Hytek pan that is made with some cooling fins on it. During this change I found the upper oil pan leaking. I called the dealer and told him what I found and that it had a new lower pan. The service advisor told me the leak was covered and to bring it in. I dropped it off on Monday and Tuesday morning he called and told me to get the truck because they will not touch it due to the lower pan. When I told him it is the upper leaking he pulled the page from the service manual that told the tech to remove the lower pan and discard it, first step. There was no variance of the manual allowed and no common sense. Have a nice day.
Now what? Is this right or is there a dealer that actually understands and can fix this under warranty? I am in Georgia and hope someone in the are can do this.

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
May have to put the old pan back on to satisfy the “rule”. I have balancers on my wheels. Discount tire refused to put my wheels back on because they have a rule about no spacers. I had to go slide them off for them before they could proceed.. You can’t argue with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lear45dr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May have to put the old pan back on to satisfy the “rule”. I have balancers on my wheels. Discount tire refused to put my wheels back on because they have a rule about no spacers. I had to go slide them off for them before they could proceed.. You can’t argue with them.

i thought about that. Hate to do it since i just did an oil change but what the heck.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Catch it in a clean pan and reuse it. The dealer is going to have to drain it as well.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
The issue is not removing the pan and "discarding" it. That wording exists in the WSM however... as with any warranty repair, ALL removed parts are to be put back in the packaging and returned to the parts department and kept until the warranty claim is submitted to Ford and they advise the dealer to scrap the parts or they call back all or some of the parts. They do this for various reasons. One, to check that the part was indeed replaced to fight fraud, two - to examine and analyze the failure and three - to check that all of the required parts or hardware was replaced. Failure to produce the part(s) can result in the claim being declined and the dealer eating the repair.

Also, any time the oil pan is removed it must be replaced with a new one to assure a good seal and prevent leaks and repeat repairs.

My only suggestion is that if you still have the original lower pan in your posession - call your dealer back and ask if they would accept the original part and kindly return your aftermarket pan to you and install a a new pan as required. To be honest, I doubt that fancy finned oil pan is of much benefit to you... but if you so desire you could simply reinstall it at a later time. And as already suggested, yuo could reinstall the original pan and return for repairs a the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The issue is not removing the pan and "discarding" it. That wording exists in the WSM however... as with any warranty repair, ALL removed parts are to be put back in the packaging and returned to the parts department and kept until the warranty claim is submitted to Ford and they advise the dealer to scrap the parts or they call back all or some of the parts. They do this for various reasons. One, to check that the part was indeed replaced to fight fraud, two - to examine and analyze the failure and three - to check that all of the required parts or hardware was replaced. Failure to produce the part(s) can result in the claim being declined and the dealer eating the repair.

Also, any time the oil pan is removed it must be replaced with a new one to assure a good seal and prevent leaks and repeat repairs.

My only suggestion is that if you still have the original lower pan in your posession - call your dealer back and ask if they would accept the original part and kindly return your aftermarket pan to you and install a a new pan as required. To be honest, I doubt that fancy finned oil pan is of much benefit to you... but if you so desire you could simply reinstall it at a later time. And as already suggested, yuo could reinstall the original pan and return for repairs a the dealer.
Thanks I think that is my best option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts