The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a lot has been said about this but guys, I need some advice. My truck is a 2000 F250 7.3 2wd and ran great for some time until I had to do a front brake job. I used OEM components and put new bearings in. Torqued to correct specs, although I thought light. Ran well for a couple years but started the DEATH WOBBLE a little bit last year. (rotors now slightly warped). Hauled my boat 1500 miles to Pensacola and had no issues then. Two weeks ago I had a major death wobble incident on an interstate road at 70 mph with a semi behind me, no way I could immediately stop so I slowly pulled over. Oddly enough this weekend on a 200 mile trip, ran smooth.

Took it into the dealership today for an alignment and they diagnosed ball joints worn out & bearings worn out. Looking at a $1600 bill for these repairs.

I am thinking that the DEATH WOBBLE incidents wore out these items instead of these worn items causing the death wobble. They claimed the track bar was tight and true.

If I can't get this figured out, this truck is going to be gone. I can't tolerate driving and wondering if it will happen again. My wife panicked when she was driving the truck and it happened to her.

Any of you guys gotten answers from Ford?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I Think the ball joint wore out and that is what caused the problem. You did not say how many miles you had the truck or when the last time you had a alignment/inspection of the front axle done. DEATH WOBBLE is not some black magic that happens, it is cause by loose/ worn parts. Go look at the parts and see what is bad.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
I think the worn parts caused the wobble and not the other way around.

I don’t know if the estimate of $1,600 is reasonable for a 4x2 but Ford dealership rates are typically higher than private shops so you might shop around.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to learn more about the truck and appreciate everyone's advice. I thought the dealership could make things right and were the experts on these trucks but right now, they can not align it! Tried all day yesterday. You guys said it might be the drag bar and that's about the only thing left to consider. It is back in there for another week. Pocket $2300 empty thus far. Over $1500 in labor and they can't figure out why it is not aligning. Tidelands Ford, Pawleys Island SC.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I know a lot has been said about this but guys, I need some advice. My truck is a 2000 F250 7.3 2wd and ran great for some time until I had to do a front brake job. I used OEM components and put new bearings in. Torqued to correct specs, although I thought light. Ran well for a couple years but started the DEATH WOBBLE a little bit last year. (rotors now slightly warped). Hauled my boat 1500 miles to Pensacola and had no issues then. Two weeks ago I had a major death wobble incident on an interstate road at 70 mph with a semi behind me, no way I could immediately stop so I slowly pulled over. Oddly enough this weekend on a 200 mile trip, ran smooth.

Took it into the dealership today for an alignment and they diagnosed ball joints worn out & bearings worn out. Looking at a $1600 bill for these repairs.

I am thinking that the DEATH WOBBLE incidents wore out these items instead of these worn items causing the death wobble. They claimed the track bar was tight and true.

If I can't get this figured out, this truck is going to be gone. I can't tolerate driving and wondering if it will happen again. My wife panicked when she was driving the truck and it happened to her.

Any of you guys gotten answers from Ford?

A 2000 F250 2WD has twin independent I-Beam front suspension. "Death wobble" occurs on trucks with a front mono-beam axle when wear of steering components, bushings, shocks and stabilizers and steering gear allows the axle oscillate uncontrollably. I am not contesting that your truck has a severe problem, just want to get the facts straight.

With that said, your truck does NOT have a track bar.

If your truck were in my service bay I would pay particular attention to the inner I-Beam bushings, radius arm bushings, front shocks and steering gear adjustment after inspecting for the obvious. As Denny pointed out, something is loose or worn.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent advice. Thanks. No, there is no front axle on mine but what I am experiencing is indeed just as bad or worse than the "death wobble". It was exactly like it and the truck was barely controllable. I could barely hold onto the steering wheel. Exact same symptoms. It did not wobble on my 200 mile test but it sure did not track right either. For some reason they can't get it to align and stay aligned. I left it with them for another week.

Any advice on where I can get schematics of the parts in the front end of my truck? I would like to know what every part does and more about it in general.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, back in the dealership. During a test drive I heard something snapping and popping so I looked under the truck. An entire through bolt was missing on the assembly. Took it back to the dealer and now they have an issue aligning it. I took a picture but on iPad, can't drag and drop. There is this crossmember bar and it has an attachment arm on the right side and a arm for the left side. One of those arms was not secured.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just told today by the dealership that the steering box must be very worn because they could not completely perfect the alignment, too loose. I have to do some research on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts