The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel with the infamous, very well known, death wobble due to inferior suspension parts construction and possible geometry configuration...why can’t they just get with their customers and accept responsibility and fix these problems without a fight? I have had this problem randomly since ~33,000 miles(100,000k warranty). I take it to my dealer and ask them about it and they say, yea it happens, we’ll check ‘er out for ya. Don’t put it on the paperwork and tell ya they took it for a drive and it’s fine. Of course I know these guys and believe them, but, the next time I drive the truck it wobbles out of control!!! Several times while pulling my 5th wheel on downhill grades, it flies out of control...talk about pucker in a curve!!! Take it to the dealer...looks good!! I replace all shocks and damper with high quality parts, and still wobbles at 83,000....looks good, Now at 112,000 I’m out of warranty and I can almost guarantee you when I mention it again it will end up being a full front end rebuild due to wear n tear...I have been a Ford buyer for 3 generations either used or new and these last two trucks I’ve had have been nightmares!! 6.0 turbo (with wobble too) and this. The engine has been great but this wobble is un real and unsafe!!! If you are going to pay $60 k for a truck, you should get that in return service!
What say you Wobblers?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sounds bad, but at 112k the responsibility is clearly the owners. My understanding is it happens due to worn components. Replacement with the best you can find is in order...good luck.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I am not going to bash Ford on this one as this problem is common with front mono-beam axles and other manufacturers and has been decades. Consider this a design characteristic. I can advise you on the technical side. Perhaps your dealer fell short there. Several things to pay attention to and consider to mitigate steering oscillation. Hope this helps.
  1. Track bar ball joint at the axle and the bushing at the frame - replace BOTH.
  2. Check for worn shocks and steering damper.*
  3. Proper front tire pressure set to the specification on the door label. An additional 5 psi may also help.
  4. Have the alignment specifications checked and set. Caster is best set at the lower end of the specification without exceeding the limit. The front camber, cross-camber and cross-caster should be set as close as possible to the nominal specifications.
*As far as shocks and steering dampers go, there are aftermarket options that provide improved quality and performance. Perhaps other members could chime in with some good part recommendations based on experience.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds bad, but at 112k the responsibility is clearly the owners. My understanding is it happens due to worn components. Replacement with the best you can find is in order...good luck.
Yea but started at 33000 is my point, and it’s product wide...I agree if it finally STARTED at 112000

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not going to bash Ford on this one as this problem is common with front mono-beam axles and other manufacturers and has been decades. Consider this a design characteristic. I can advise you on the technical side. Perhaps your dealer fell short there. Several things to pay attention to and consider to mitigate steering oscillation. Hope this helps.
  1. Track bar ball joint at the axle and the bushing at the frame - replace BOTH.
  2. Check for worn shocks and steering damper.*
  3. Proper front tire pressure set to the specification on the door label. An additional 5 psi may also help.
  4. Have the alignment specifications checked and set. Caster is best set at the lower end of the specification without exceeding the limit. The front camber, cross-camber and cross-caster should be set as close as possible to the nominal specifications.
*As far as shocks and steering dampers go, there are aftermarket options that provide improved quality and performance. Perhaps other members could chime in with some good part recommendations based on experience.
Thanks...appreciate that but, I have replaced the damper and all 4 shocks (30,00k ago) with top end Bilstiens rated for towing. Have alignment checked every time the tires are rotated and balanced. And air is right where you suggest. It will be tie rod ends and track bar improvements next although I’m told they are fine.

what aftermarket do you recommend for that and would you recommend the increased caster shim like I have read elsewhere....and how much of an increase? Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
As far as death wobble is conserned all trucks experience it. My company truck did it when parts were worn. I also found that there are a dozen different things that can cause it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts