The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well thats why I said “it may be”...Lol

No, usually guys brag up their new shocks ride quality when they are replacing shocks that are 10 years old. Ofcourse any new shock is going to improve the ride.

But its interesting you find the new Bilstein so superior to a new Motorcraft. Thats a useful comparison.

I had my doubts, but having replaced the brand new OEM shocks on a 2016 F150 because of how much it bounced when empty, with new 5100 shocks and then the truck rode great, I figured, give it a try, can't be any worse. It cost $78 to find out. The OEM shock does have decent pressure and pull but the Bilstien took much more effort to collapse, and the gas charge forces the rod back out, and this is what I believe is making the difference.

It did not correct the wobbles, only a caster change will do that, but it took enough of the impacts out that I no longer feel them in the steering wheel and the truck is more stable on a rough road now, and that is the important part. Others have complained the Bilstien causes a pull to the left due to the gas charge, but I haven't experienced that.

Next year I will get a set of https://8lugtruckgear.com/Carli-For...03sKAVf21E6CM_lx4LvIX_6ZRDkvOTDIaAtDFEALw_wcB and find a shop that knows what they are doing and have them correct the caster.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
My turn to join the party. 2012 F350 Lariat CC 8' SRW, been riding on Bilstein 5100's and matching steering dampner for over a yeat, 198K and stock wheels tires/ride height. Comes on at 55 and nothing stops it but stopping. Going to be a long, slow tide home in the morning.... I'll go through it piece by piece and bolt by bolt. Earliest the dealer will look at it is Wednesday the 16th!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The reason that aftermarket shocks, brand irrelevant, improve perceived ride quality is that they are designed to have a higher damping rate than stock, to compensate for wear in other suspension components. All the aftermarket damper suppliers will have their own idea of what constitutes a 'good ride', and so each will provide a different feel, and none of them will replicate the damping curve that Ford originally specified, after spending good money on its development.

There are only so many damper manufacturers in the world. Many of the brand names come from the same factory, using the same base components, and differing only in tuning and paint job. Many years ago I worked in a damper manufacturing facility and as contract manufacturers, we made Rancho, Rough Country, and Rugged Trail among many others on the same line and they were so similar their SKU numbers differed only by a suffix at the end.

I corrected my own death wobble issue by having all the resilient front end components replaced. Solved the problem, which has not recurred 100,000 km later. My truck has the stock FX4 configuration. I don't run a steering stabilizer.

And with apologies for being nit-picky, a damper converts mechanical energy into another form, usually thermal, energy. A dampener makes things wet.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
And with apologies for being nit-picky, a damper converts mechanical energy into another form, usually thermal, energy. A dampener makes things wet.
LOL ... thanks for picking on my fat fingers!

I hear what you're saying. Having my first death wobble experience in a 1994 F350 4x4 ambulance, and now on my 2012, and having read probably a hundred posts on different sites, death wobble has no one component, and can come on early or late. It's an equation with a couple dozen variables, so what works for one will have no effect on others. I started trouble shooting with the basics, air pressure and tire conditions. Both tires are wearing evenly and we equal in pressure, but both were 18# below what I expected then to be (62# instead of 80), I'll drive it on a dry road and see what happens. I ordered new ball join and bushing for the track bar, and that will be the next thing if it persists.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is a complex issue to be sure. I run my tires at 65 psi, and even that seems on the hard side, but I have the 20" wheel option. Tire size is LT275/65R20.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts