The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have literally replaced the whole front end ball joints, axle,hub assemblies, u-joints, shocks, tie rod ends, Tract bar, tract bar ball joint, I mean everything I’m at a complete loss this truck has been nothing but problems from the get go I’ve only had this truck for about 10 months and have poured 14,000 dollars into it. The wobble started shortly after I purchased the truck I took it to the place I bought it and they said they couldn’t re-create it so they wouldn’t fix anything( mind you this is the same dealership that told me a small radiator hose leak was causing my a/c to not work when clearly the clutch on the compressor was smoking and not engaging) so I took it to a ford dealership they said nothing was wrong with it. So I decided to take it to a “reputable” shop in my area they called me several times telling me that things needed to be replaced so after it was all said and done still after paying 3k to a shop it doesn’t quite go into a wobble anymore but when you hit a bump it still tries to go into a wobble this truck rides terribly I’m at a complete loss I’ve tried everything I can think everything is tight no loose bolts/nuts no cracks or wear in the rubber components if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
When mine did this I got underneath while someone moved the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off. I was able to see a little bit of play in the drag link. It was probably less than 1/8". I replaced the drag link and it hasn't done it again in the year since the new part was installed.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
It would be helpful to list the steering and suspension parts that HAVE been replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be helpful to list the steering and suspension parts that HAVE been replaced.
All Tie rod ends, both hub assemblies, front and rear shocks, steering stabilizer, Tract bar, axle, bearings, seals, ball joint to Tract bar, I would also like to note that I took it to a buddy of mine today we shook everything down and nothing was loose but the tire pressure for all tires was 80 and that’s the max cold tire pressure so we let air out and it seems to be riding a lot better but still has a slight shimmy in what feels like the driver side front tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When mine did this I got underneath while someone moved the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off. I was able to see a little bit of play in the drag link. It was probably less than 1/8". I replaced the drag link and it hasn't done it again in the year since the new part was installed.
Could you give me a little more information as to where the play was as in how do you find play in the drag link

·
Registered
2000 F250 Lariat
90 Posts
Buddy of mine has first year of the new body, had the issue, scared the beJesus out of him. He finally got it sorted out after repeated trips to dealer and an independent shop. I know he replaced the steering stabilizer with an updated one and made some other suspension mods but not sure what. He's currently on a 3 month trip to Alaska with his camper so can't ask him now but expect him back in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What is the caster set to? You want to get as much caster in as you can to help stop DW. Did that on my 2012, set it to 5* and can hit whatever the hell I want with not even a shimmy. It corners better too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have literally replaced the whole front end ball joints, axle,hub assemblies, u-joints, shocks, tie rod ends, Tract bar, tract bar ball joint, I mean everything I’m at a complete loss this truck has been nothing but problems from the get go I’ve only had this truck for about 10 months and have poured 14,000 dollars into it. The wobble started shortly after I purchased the truck I took it to the place I bought it and they said they couldn’t re-create it so they wouldn’t fix anything( mind you this is the same dealership that told me a small radiator hose leak was causing my a/c to not work when clearly the clutch on the compressor was smoking and not engaging) so I took it to a ford dealership they said nothing was wrong with it. So I decided to take it to a “reputable” shop in my area they called me several times telling me that things needed to be replaced so after it was all said and done still after paying 3k to a shop it doesn’t quite go into a wobble anymore but when you hit a bump it still tries to go into a wobble this truck rides terribly I’m at a complete loss I’ve tried everything I can think everything is tight no loose bolts/nuts no cracks or wear in the rubber components if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!
On my 2019 F250 I had the wobble and almost lost it. Took to Ford dealer and they replaced the steering damper that solved the problem.

·
Registered
2014 SRW F-350
1 Posts
Try the cab mount bushings. I know it sounds like its not part of the problem, but a shop where I'm working in S. LA. did mine and it stopped

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought my 2011 F350 brand new in 2010. Was riding my motorcycle behind the wife who was driving the truck. She hit a pothole in the road while going around a curb. She almost lost the truck. I took it around the same curb and hit the same hole and the trucks front end went ape sh!t. I put a 2.5” level kit on the truck with caster shims and had it aligned. I’ve hit the same pothole again and again and it’s not happened since. I think it’s a combination of Fords crappy coil spring/shock dampening ratio as well as piss poor alignments out of the factory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts