The Diesel Stop banner

Decisions- Cap/Topper Pics and Input Please CC/SB

7K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ddog 
#1 ·
Trying to decide on a cap/topper for my truck in sig. Want to see some pics of the different styles- Cab height, Raised, flush glass, framed glass, Brands- Leer, ARE, other. Appreciate any pics and input in terms of brand preference, construction quality, etc.

I'm debating raised for room and occasional camping duty verses cab height for looks,mpg difference over raised. The primary function will be for traveling with the dogs (2).

Thanks!

ddog

#3 ·
Here is mine. Bought it used for $325. It is a Covermaster. I like it. Not exactly what I would have bought new, but I couldn't resist the price and it was already the same color as the truck. The wife and I did some camping in it this past June. We threw an air mattress in the bed and called it home for a few nights as we skipped around Colorado. We had a great time.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2305678700065288846QpmgFy

#4 ·
Mo Smoke, Houston Thanks for the pics. Nice Trucks BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

Houston if I could find one nice like yours used for 325.00 I'd jump on it.I agree I'd prefer something with the flush glass like Mo Smoke has. I found a raised roof ARE for 675 installed used with the flush glass, but its Maroon, so still have to repaint. My truck is white.

Houston, What size tires are those in the pics?

Keep the pics/comments coming

Thanks

ddog

#5 ·
I have the leer xl160, I bought new when I bought the truck. It's a sloping roof design that's cab height in the front and raises about 6" in the rear. It COSTS me about 2mpg with it on. I've also had it replaced twice due to cracking fiberglass and it's cracking again. The Leer stealers want $25 to handle the cap EACH time, meaning $25 off and $25 on. It ain't happening. Oh and the rear glass latch mechanism is a total POS as well. Scratch leer off your list. I'll never buy another leer product. If you're anywhere near Tulsa, Oklahoma- stay away from Scott's Trailer sales, as well. They're worse than leer.

#6 ·
Thanks for the heads up on Leer. Hope you finally got it worked out. I'm a little ways from Tulsa. The ARE I've seen are nice. The two used ones I have found so far are raised, not cab height. At the risk of dating myself, the roof on those is kind of like a Vista Cruiser, steps up just behind the cab with little windows and levels off to the back. Both are the wrong color too. Would like to see some pics of that style installed too. -2 mpg for raised roof might change my mind though.

ddog

#7 ·
I've got an ARE that came on the truck when I bought it. I believe it's the Z series. It's very well built, and it looks suprisingly good, despite the fact that all caps seem to add a little old-man look to the truck. I always compare other caps I see to this one. Really, it seems that with any brand out there, the more you pay, the better you get.

#8 ·
I have a leer 100r, and I can't keep the rear latched corectly. The latch gets stuck in between the frame and its tough to get it out. The dealer couldn't care less when I complane. I won't buy another leer. They don't have a customer service # so you can only complane to the dealer.

#10 ·
We have a Leer Browning Special on the wifers truck. Really like it.

#11 ·
I have a brand new ARE cab height and it is top quality as far as I can tell. This is the third topper I have had on the same number of trucks and my second ARE. I had a Century on my last truck (Nissan) and it was nice too, but you can definetly see a finish difference in the new ARE. I paid a premium $1450, but I figure it would be the last one I get for about ten years.

To me, the cab height is the way to go. It looks better to me than the raised ones, especially the sloped ones. I would either get cab height, or one that is raised but not sloped up towards the rear.

I actually think that toppers make a truck look sporty if they are on a lifted truck or a 4x4. I don't like them on long beds or 4x2 trucks, then they look like pawpaw IMO. I have a removeable rack that fits on mine for canoe or bikes and other gear.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/DoorKicker/?action=view&current=camper1.jpg

my last truck aint it cute
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/DoorKicker/?action=view&current=P8170015.jpg

#12 ·
I have a Leer model 180 which has a 4" rise above the cab. I have been very pleased with the product and the service. Three in my family have Leers and all are quite pleased and have no problems. One wishes they bought the 180 rather than the cab height. Quality, fit and paint match are perfect.

Those problems mentioned above may be dealer installation problems not Leer problems.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Picture here Leer 180 on 2006 F350, 6.0L, 4x4

#13 ·
Thanks for the pics and input everyone. Leaning toward cab height and flush (frameless) glass. Seems to have the sportiest look. Now to balance what I like versus the budget...

ddog

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Mo Smoke, Houston Thanks for the pics. Nice Trucks BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

Houston if I could find one nice like yours used for 325.00 I'd jump on it.I agree I'd prefer something with the flush glass like Mo Smoke has. I found a raised roof ARE for 675 installed used with the flush glass, but its Maroon, so still have to repaint. My truck is white.

Houston, What size tires are those in the pics?

Keep the pics/comments coming

Thanks

ddog

[/ QUOTE ]

I also prefer the flush glass look. But money talks, lol!

The tires on the truck are little 285/75/16's. That was shortly after I installed the lift. I can't bring myself to take tires off that aren't worn completely out. The one thing I inhereited from my grandfather.

#15 ·
ARE in my Photos, Raised Flush Glass.

#16 ·
Yours looks like the used one I found for 675 installed. Can't tell from the Photo angle, but the raised area on top where the window inserts are is angled out to each side as well as angled up? Did you notice a hit in fuel economy with it? Nice Truck BTW.

ddog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.