The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've struggled with my 2013 F350 Powerstroke DEF system, and Cel codes, in particular P20E8...I've had Def heater replaced, Def pump replaced twice,. am about to replace the wiring harness..yep, throwing parts at the problem. Can someone tell me, if I remove the injector line, start motor after pump replacement, should it be pumping DEF onto the pavement to indicate that the pump is actually working? Should I be looking at something else in the DEF system?
Thank you in advance!

Steve

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Can someone tell me, if I remove the injector line, start motor after pump replacement, should it be pumping DEF onto the pavement to indicate that the pump is actually working?
Nope. The SCR system does not build pressure or inject DEF with the key on or upon starting. The system will build pressure only after EGT1-2 PID reaches 194 °F on pick-up applications. The best test is to perform the SCR Dosing Measurement Test - scan tool and calibrated container required. The test will show the pressure, pump duty cycle and pulse the injector for a calibrated period of time. I would not be me if I didn't say that at this point it would have been more cost effective to pay someone with the knowledge, resources and equipment to diagnose this concern.

Reactions: Stroking it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys,
First off thank, thanks you Ford Doctor for the reply and explanation, and I certainly deserve the comments in your final paragraph at least to a certain degree.. In my defense, I first took the vehicle to my local NAPA dealer who diagnosed the issue as a DEF heater failure. They replaced that, and with 10-14 days my CEL showed the same code, indicating something wrong in the DEF system. The vehicle left me stranded 20 miles from my home, and I had it towed to the local Ford dealer, who after 2 weeks diagnosed the problem to be the same CEL code, but this time the DEF pump which took a month to repair, and 1500.00 later, I have what I believe to be a fixed truck. 10 days later the CEL P02E8 shows up again, I return to the Ford dealer who, says If I leave the truck there they can have a tech look at the truck in 2-3 weeks, or I can make an appointment for November. At this point I'm just a little frustrated because it's salmon season, and soon to be Elk season. So, I take the truck to another diesel mechanic who again diagnoses the CEL, saying it is once again the DEF system, either the DEF pump was installed incorrectly, or the pump itself is bad. They said they would order new parts, and estimated it to be in excess of another grand. Not sure what to do, I took their 154.00 diagnosis and estimate home, and probably made the wrong choice perhaps here..removed the DEF pump, and went back to the dealer..talked with the manager, and told him the situation..I came home with a new exchanged DEF pump that I reinstalled myself, a long with cleaning in the DEF tank, going through the Def heater just to check if anything visually seemed amiss, and installed a new Def wiring harness, which brings me to where I am now, and asking the above question...I have the feeling if had I just been able to ask someone such as yourself Ford doctor, I wouldn't be in this situation..finding a reliable source of information, or product information these days is tough..kind of like going to Home Depot, and asking a 20 year old kid about roof pitches, and installing sky lights..

At any rate, thank you again!

Steve

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Are there, or have there been any other codes besides the P02E8?

I feel your frustration. Parts supply, work scheduling and technicians (shortage of and one's that cant diagnose) are all unfortunately today's reality. Same issues exist in my shop.

Reactions: Stroking it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, frustrating to say the least, don't mind paying for anything quality, especially when the expertise is not my forte! I'm, a 67 yo retired pharmacist and don't much enjoy dropping DEF tanks in my driveway, but so far I've done it 4 times! . lol How the dealer justifies 600.00 for labor and 824.19 for a def pump is beyond me.... Yes, there is another code the P0401 Exhaust gas reductant pressure CEL that I believe indicates I need to have the EGR cleaned or replaced. I realize they are very interconnected, but was hoping to get the Def system taken care of than take the truck to have the EGR diagnosed..Is that not possible sir? Do you happen to like salmon fishing? Maybe I should just fly you out here and take you fishing...at least we'd both get something out of it! Isn't that how it's supposed to work? LOL

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
P0401 is an EGR code. EGR and SCR both are responsible for reducing NOx emissions. One in the engine and the other in the exhaust filter. Assuming the P20E8 code you report (DEF pressure low) is accurate then the two would not be related. If the SCR code is actually P20EE instead (SEC catalyst efficiency) that would make more sense combined with the P0401 (EGR insufficient flow) The diagnostcs then become quirte involved and can cover EGR, MAF, NOx 1-1 module/sensor, NOx 1-2 module/sensor, SCR catalyst and the SCR tank, pump, pressure sensor and injector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only 2 codes I get, and I have looked at them, cleared them several times, and saw them on the dealers analyzer are P02E8, and P0401..never has the P20EE code come up..If the two previous CEL codes are unrelated what else can I check with regards to the DEF system and P20E8, or just try to locate a more knowledgeable powerstroke mechanic?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look into replacing EGR. Maybe for free (recall)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replace it without testing it? What EGR recall?
I looked all over the internet and could find no mention of a recall for my truck, it also has 139,000 miles so would not expect it to still be eligible regardless. I have taken the truck to a 4th diesel mechanic, in hopes he has the diagnostic and testing equipment, and is as knowledgeable as the ford doctor...thanks for your insight sir!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually Not an official recall But a "Customer Satisfaction Program 21M04"

Work done at dealer;
R&R EGR cooler assembly (re-imbursed $1260)
REPL reductant heater/sender ($656 covered under factory warranty)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts