The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was at the ol northern tool the other day to pick up a bearing race driver set and right next to it was a DEF fluid tester. It was like $25, so i bought it. The back mumbled something about testing the concentration of the fluid to make sure its still in good condition.

Has anyone used these? Does the DEF fluid go bad? Haven't dipped mine yet to test but curious if this is something I should be keeping an eye on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like it measures that concentration amount of Urea in the tank. 32.5% is ideal. Gonna slither this into my tank and see what I'm at.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Yes that is what it does. This tool is a hydrometer that measures the specific gravity of the fluid. These are accurate and a low cost method of testing the urea concentration making them a perfect solution for vehicle owners. There are other tools that accomplish this like a refractometer or an electronic tester which cost a bit more. The hydrometer like the one you listed won't give you a specific number like the others but that is okay as DEF concentration CAN vary a couple of points plus or minus and be completely effective. At the dealership I use an OTC refractometer which I like because it is still relatively low cost, accurate and I can see the variation from from 32.5% if the fluid concentration is off. Here are two examples:

I personally have not seen DEF "go bad" but I have seen cases where it has been diluted due to improper storage - of bulk containers left outdoors and rain was allowed into the container or leaks in the vehicle's fill cap, hoses and storage tank. Most DEF concerns are caused by contamination by human error - somehow diesel fuel or fuel additives get dumped into the DEF tank. Don't ask me. I don't understand how people do it other than intentional vandalism. If your storage containers are sealed air tight and kept out of direct sunlight the DEF will be just fine. They say it has a shelf life but it lasts quite a while if stored properly. Your experiences might differ but this is what I have concluded from almost a decade around trucks with SCR systems.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10-4, I buy my DEF bottles from summit racing. 2.5 gallons for $14, OEM ford. I also use the OEM ford filler thing designed for the 2.5 gallon tank and keep it in the sealed plastic bag and make sure to rinse it out after each use and let it air dry before putting in the bag.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts