The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
First oil change at 7,000 miles on a 2017 6.7 had dealer fill up DEF tank which was showing almost empty, showed full on gauge until 2 days later now it shows almost empty. Topped off DEF tank and it was full. Get warning that DEF tank will run out in less than 400 miles.
Is this the known problem on the DEF tanks?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
some people are reporting they have a problem with the level sensors updating quickly. My 2015 updates almost immediately. Drive it a few days and see if it will update. if not, you might have to visit dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
It will correct it's self. Mine acts like this sometimes.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Hey Guys,
First oil change at 7,000 miles on a 2017 6.7 had dealer fill up DEF tank which was showing almost empty, showed full on gauge until 2 days later now it shows almost empty...
if not, you might have to visit dealer.
Hello jetpilotchris1,

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives on this forum. I agree with larrgh. Please take your vehicle back to a Ford Dealer to get diagnosed. You can also click, here to seek a second opinion from another Ford Dealer.

In the meantime, please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll get the ball rolling on my end! :grin2:

It will correct it's self. Mine acts like this sometimes.
Hi COBRAJET,

I just wanted to check in with you as well. Is your vehicle still experiencing this symptom? If so, please PM the same info listed above. :smile2:

Tricia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tricia, all,
I stopped by the local dealer, called in advance and when I arrived 3 guys came right over and took the truck back. They reset by removing the battery cables and reattaching, topped off the DEF tank and think they may have reset the computer and it now seems to work great, DEF shows full.
I love this truck and get at least a half dozen compliments a day on how great the truck looks, I even had a new chevy half ton crew roll past today and both the driver and passenger held up their thumbs and said "nice truck"

Tricia, can you help me track down some info and possibly any available discounts on the diesel care extended warranties out there as I would like to purchase one.

Thank you

Chris

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Hi Tricia, all,
I stopped by the local dealer, called in advance and when I arrived 3 guys came right over and took the truck back. They reset by removing the battery cables and reattaching, topped off the DEF tank and think they may have reset the computer and it now seems to work great, DEF shows full...
Thanks for the update, jetpilotchris1.

I’m glad to learn that you love your ride, and that the dealer took care of you! :thumbsup:

Please check out the information, below:

Ford Protect Extended Service Plan Website: Ford Protect Extended Service and Maintenance

Ford Protect Extended Service Plan Sales: 1-877-794-6434 (9:00 A.M. – 7:00 P.M. EST)

A Ford Protect Extended Service Plan takes the risk out of vehicle ownership while minimizing unexpected repair costs. Your local Ford Dealer can help you to choose the right plan to meet your vehicle needs. The Ford Protect Extended Service Plan website also provides information about ESP coverage and plan types available for purchase.

Have a great weekend, and Happy Holidays! :cheers:

Tricia

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Hello jetpilotchris1,

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives on this forum. I agree with larrgh. Please take your vehicle back to a Ford Dealer to get diagnosed. You can also click, here to seek a second opinion from another Ford Dealer.

In the meantime, please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll get the ball rolling on my end! :grin2:

Hi COBRAJET,

I just wanted to check in with you as well. Is your vehicle still experiencing this symptom? If so, please PM the same info listed above. :smile2:

Tricia
Mine has less than 4K miles on it. I'll let it play out. I had a 2016 SRW for a year and it did the same thing. The message would come on saying I had 500 miles left. I would add one 2.5 gallon jug of DEF. The next time I drove the truck and a few times after that the 500 miles message would not go away…it would actually count down. When I added another….
ie filled the tank the message went away. Half filling it doesn't seem to register…not quickly anyway.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Mine has less than 4K miles on it. I'll let it play out. I had a 2016 SRW for a year and it did the same thing. The message would come on saying I had 500 miles left. I would add one 2.5 gallon jug of DEF. The next time I drove the truck and a few times after that the 500 miles message would not go away…it would actually count down. When I added another….
ie filled the tank the message went away. Half filling it doesn't seem to register…not quickly anyway.
Gotcha, COBRAJET. We'll be here if you change your mind. :thumbsup:

Rachel

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hey Guys,
First oil change at 7,000 miles on a 2017 6.7 had dealer fill up DEF tank which was showing almost empty, showed full on gauge until 2 days later now it shows almost empty. Topped off DEF tank and it was full. Get warning that DEF tank will run out in less than 400 miles.
Is this the known problem on the DEF tanks?
How the heck did you get 7000 miles on a 2017 truck already?

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a function using the IDS that is called the "SCR Refill Activation". You basically fill the DEF tank 100%, do this procedure, and it tells the PCM the tank is full and notes the reductant tank sending unit voltage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How the heck did you get 7000 miles on a 2017 truck already?

Commuting 200 miles in a day, gets miles on quick, looking for compact car to park the truck until fishing season when its time to pull the boat ;-) should be less than 90 days now until fishing season.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have almost the opposite... I've gone through two regen cycles recently, but according to the dash, my DEF tank is 100% full. When I did fill it last time, it was indeed, 100% full. I almost got a full 5 gal in.

2015, F350 Lariat/Platinum, 34.5k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I have almost the opposite... I've gone through two regen cycles recently, but according to the dash, my DEF tank is 100% full. When I did fill it last time, it was indeed, 100% full. I almost got a full 5 gal in.

2015, F350 Lariat/Platinum, 34.5k miles.
Regen cycles use diesel fuel…not DEF. DEF is used all the time. Watch your fuel mileage fall like crazy during regen. I filled my tank today and reset the trip and mpg average. 2 miles later it went into regen. It averaged 9 mpg while in the process for about 20 minutes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts